Hi, I am a twenty seven years old woman. A month ago I started feeling strange. At that time I got a new job and I thought that stress was producing this feeling. I have shacking hands and am nervous. Since these symptoms did not fade away, I went to see a doctor. After some tests, I was diagnosed with Grave's disease. The doctor prescribed me some medicine. I am about to take them, but would like to know if tremors and nervousness can be treated in Grave's disease?

Hi, Grave's disease is a very rare illness. You belong to the group of people that are usually affected. What I am trying to say is that Grave's disease mostly affects women after the age of twenty. This is an autoimmune disease, meaning that immune system is producing it. It sees thyroid gland as a threat and creates antibodies to act against it. But the antibodies "only" affect the work of thyroid gland. Influenced by them, this gland excessively produces a hormone called thyroxin. It is responsible for "speeding" up the rhythm of metabolism. This can have a very serious effect on the organism. There is no cure for Grave's disease. The only thing that can be done is to keep the symptoms under control. Hand tremors and nervousness are usual symptoms of Grave's disease. And yes, it can be treated. I am sure that your doctor has prescribed you some beta blockers. They have been proven to be successful. Again, they will not cure you from your illness but will block some effects of thyroxin and help with tremors and nervousness.

Anna,
I was diagnosed with Grave's Disease when I was 30 yrs old.
This disease can definitely make you feel like c**p. I had the buggy eyes, rapid heart beat, shaky hands, profuse sweating, etc.
I tried medication but it did not work very well for me. I decided to be treated with radiation therapy. That was 15yrs ago. Though I am sympton free of Grave's Disease, now I am HYPOthyroid and take meds everyday.
I do fell much better this way than the other.
Some people I know that have been diagnosed with Grave's Disease claim their thyroid burnt out on its on. I have a hard time believing this but that is what they are claiming.
There are several options to treat Grave's Disease. Speak to your doctor about the options.
For me when I got my thyroid slowed down the vast majority of my symptons eased along with the "bumps" in my neck.
Good luck to you.