Hello. I'm 22 year old female and I'm having some important questions about thyroid gland purpose. You see, my mother has developed some problems with it and diagnosed recently with underactive thyroid gland! All I know that it failed to produce some hormones and that it caused her to gain weight abnormally. Supposedly, she will now use some hormone supplements instead of these natural hormones. I really don’t know more about this and I would really like if someone could explain my some crucial facts about what your thyroid does anyway! It would be more then appreciated!

I'm a medical student and I know how this thyroid gland works normally. Thyroid gland is normally localized on the base of your nect! You see, it is producing these two hormones thyroxin and 3-J-tyronine. These are very potent and important hormones for normal functioning of human body.
They are called metabolism hormones because they speed up our metabolism in every possible way. They cause better digestion, weight loss, better concentration and many other things. So, you understand what happens if this gland is underactive. Many conditions can affect this gland such as hyperthyroidisms, hypothyroidisms, thyroiditis, cancers…