My mother's friend has been diagnosed with grave's disease. She is taking medications and I have heard that it helps her. I know that there is no known cause for this illness, but are there any risk factors? Can stress trigger grave's disease? I ask this because my mother's work is giving her a hard time and she returns home stressed and nervous.

Actually, stress can really be the trigger for problems with thyroid gland. But, I think that it must be a really stressful situation, or perhaps a life filled with everyday stress. Even though this happens to your mother, I assume that she does relax a bit when she returns home, and I hope that you help there a bit. Talk to her, tell her your fears, maybe she will be less nervous.

As far as I am concerned stress is the prime culprit of various dangerous conditions and my trainer likes to say that stress is the killer number one. I absolutely agree with him. I had stress related allergy. It manifested all over my body and after few months of a regular treatment my doctor told me that the stress is causing my illness and that the only way to get rid of it is to stop be under stress. I couldn’t quit my job so I started to exercise. I managed to relieve my stress trough exercising. At first it wasn’t that helpful but after sometime I have figure out that it is really the best way to deal with it.