I wanted to find out how many of the members of the boards here have Graves' Disease. I was diagnosed in 2004, and only recently went into remission.

Hi..

I too have Graves Disease..I was diagnosed in 2005 after two years of being ill, (after a nasty flu bug I never actually recovered from and my children's dad passed away)..they wrongly diagnosed me as having ME, Chronic Fatigue..Fybromyalgia (sp?) amongst other things..as an Overactive Thyroid doesn't show up in the blood usually, until it's well advanced..The docs think it was brought on by emotional trauma, but two friends I caught the flu from also never recovered, one was diagnosed with ME, the other had Glandular fever

I had the Radio Iodine in late 2005 and it worked first time, Thank God!..I was so ill..am also in remission..but scared..it affected my eyes rly badly and tho I am not vain - and they they did get better.. I cried buckets for my looks and I miss the person I was..I used to joke about going to bed a Goddess and waking up a Gargoyle <chuckles>..but they're much better now..I don't class myself as ill..but that I jst tire easily..the worst was coming to terms to being once such a strong person..(I'm a single mum, with no family support - I'm not allowed to be ill! LOL) and find that what I do today I pay for tomorrow

Am now back at work and live a reasonably normal life..I've stopped taking Propranolol and Carbimazole..I just take Thyroxine now..tho I still get increased heart rate, overly anxious and blurred vision when stressed and my throat and glands swell in the neck when I am run down, (the symptoms I had in the waves of being ill on and off b4 me being properly diagnosed)..I simply cant deal with stress anymore..and good luck not having any in my overly busy life..

Am curious too as to how many ppl on here have Graves..I hear it's uncommon..maybe why you've not had much response? lol

Sam

I was diagnosed with Grave's Disease in 1992 (at age 32) I under went the radio iodine treatment in 1993. That left me with an under active thyroid and I now take a daily medication (Armour Thyroid).
Life is hell with a thyroid disorder. Like the post before mine~somehow you just never quite feel the same again.
However I was so very sick with the Grave's Disease that even though I now constantly struggle with weight and high chlosteral I feel it was worth taking the treatment.

I too have now gone under..and same for me..I can fluctuate a whole stone in a couple of weeks..when I was over active I cld eat 6 times a day and STILL lose weight..lol now I only have to say Mars Bar and can gain a pound..lmao..It's horrible tho..depresses me in as much as 2 days my clothes wont fit..

My vision has started getting scary tho..I rly dont want my eyes to go again..I looked so awful and was about 6 months after the Radio Iodine b4 they went down..left me with extra wrinkles because of them swelling..I aged 5 yrs in 6 months..

It's been so hard keeping down my job..I can't work full time anymore because of where I live and am too scared of overdoing it..

I try to be postive about it..and just pace myself..swimming helped so much, built up stamina and the strength back in my arms and legs..did you kno too that Tonic Water eases the cramps?

Can anybody advise
I have graves disease ( goiter )and Hyperthyroidism was on Carbimazole but was taken off because I became neutropenic ( Very low white bloodcells ) and in a lot of pain in my stomach
I have been seeing an endo since early 2008
Trouble is I am very confused, I am 45 I participate in a very strenuous sport three times a week. I haven’t lost any weight in fact I have put on over 8 lbs in the last 6 months. (Appetite normal)
My eyes tend to feel strained but not bulging
I have a low heart rate 52 when resting
My blood pressure is low
I do have palpitations sometimes
I do get quite irritable sometimes ( but not any more than usual )
I get: cramps in my legs and toes quite a lot { my little toes seem to cross over }
My memory can go from brilliant to nill from day to day
A constant dry throat but not coughing
No hair loss
Good nails
Endo says I should have RAI but not keen and Surgery
Is anybody same as me !!!
I think a lot of my symtoms are more like Hypo am i right
Thanks
Koryo

My personal experience tells me that you have more symptoms of hypothyroid than hyper....but truth is every one's symptoms can be different so my advice is to go with what your blood work is saying.
I didn't want to undergo Radioactive Iodine treatment either but after investigating the risk with surgery I am glad I did.
If you are not comfortable with your current doctor's advice seek another one. Sometimes doctors differ in opinions.

Greetings from the United States. I have hyperthyroid. It took the doctors almost two years to figure it out. I had given them all the symptoms but they weren't that smart. I had two pills of radiation to have my throat x-rayed and they also x-rayed my arms to see how fast the radiation was travelling through. I'm against RAI due to the fact, the doctor kept lying to me after I asked him what the effects of the treatment would be. VA doctor, what did I expect. I was checking to see if hyperthyroidism can enhance a person's immune system to the so-called Swine Flu virus that is man-made and circulating around the world. This flu was probably created here by scientists in the United States. Anyway, I'm against RAI, they have better pills to counteract the problems without the crushing side effects.

I also have graves disease, I was diagnosed last year, actually i diagnosed myself because the doctors couldnt figure it out. I was having very bad shortness of breath, heart palputations and became techycardic(very fast heart rate). I ended up in hospital with a resting heart rate of 156, they gave me xanax and told me to go home and make an appt. with a psychologist(funny huh?)Any way been on troazol now for about 9 or so months and just recently having same symptoms has this happened to anyone else?Meds dont seem to be helping anymore,

I'd like to know from some of you if any of you are still around and posting about how you were able to get diagnosed when so many of your doctors didn't diagnose you properly or anything like that. Could someone tell me what they decided to do to get help? Did you diagnose yourself? Did you just keep going o doctors until one actually helped diagnose you or what? I'd like to hear. Thanks!

Yes I am still around.

I was sitting in the OB/GYN office and they had a video on thyroid conditions playing in the waiting room.
I went in and told the doctor that is what I have. Sure enough it was!
Amazing I was on my third doctor and I had to tell them what was wrong with me.
I'm better now...I had the radioactive iodine treatment and now have an underactive thyroid condition. My opinion is that it beats having hyper thyroid any day!

I had been getting thyroid tests for years,all "NORMAL" untill I was sent to a psychiatrist . after she checked labs and adjusted my Bi-Polaar meds she shook my hand stoped and looked real close at me and said " do you know you are in a thryoid storm?" well my goodness I cpuld have kissed her. I had been trying for years to get someone to listen to me. she ran more indepth thyroid blood tests and yup. guess what, I have graves. well My mom has thyroid problems so like DUH.

after that it was clear sailing in getting this under control.

I still get sick easy . but at least its not just OH you are bi-polar. so yeah for my great psychiatrist sshe understood. so . I guess the point of all this is if your doc won't listen to you, see another one, demand a FULL thyroid panel. not just once, but yearly. you won't be sorry.

Oh I was nuked. but I flare every now and then.

I have grave's disease as well, and Like you I do not lose weight but I do gain. I am an active person but do not lose anything. Unlike you I do lose my hair, have eye issues, and everything else that goes along with Graves. I've been tested several times and was told everybody's body is different. Textbook graves says you should lose weight but unfortunately isn't always the case. I work in the medical field and also have met patients with Graves who say they have gained weight instead if losing.

basically the same symptoms but I lost weight went from 186 to around 120 my bp 240 over 140 my endo does t4 and t3 test on me every 3months recently dealing with a lot of stress my grave scame out of remission. I'm now on propanal twice daily clodine twice aday methimazole one tablet nifedipine spironolactone to control bp my heart rate veries 150 to120 even on med. my vision I'm legaly blind

Dont do the RAI treatment destruction of the gland is not the answer.