Hi, I have a twenty eight years old sister. Couple of moths ago she started having problems with her eyes. There was swelling formed behind her eyeballs. At least that is what the doctor has told her. It was produced by Grave's disease. Some medicine was prescribed but also another appointment was scheduled so that the results would be graded. What can you tell me about this problem that my sister has with swelling behind eyeballs?

Hi, Grave's disease usually causes symptoms like anxiety, tremor of hands, sweating and rapid and irregular heartbeat. However it can also, like in your sister's case, influence eyes. This illness is caused by our immune system. It produces antibodies that stimulate the production of thyroxin. This is a hormone created by the thyroid gland. High levels of thyroxin lead to rising of the symptoms of Grave's disease. Swelling behind eyeballs, or for that matter any eye problems, are serious. They demand full responsibility and professional care. It can be done by medicines. In your sister's case, corticosteroids are usually prescribed. Also, it is found that even artificial tears can help. If the medicine that was given to you do not show results of improvement, your sister's doctor will probably suggest surgery. Anyway, your sister should fill confident in the decisions of her doctor.

my neice has had swelling behind both eyes doctor thinks hers could be lymes disease