Hello. I was diagnosed with Graves' Disease a few months ago and I have been very very tired, debilitating tiredness. Is this a symptom of Graves' Disease, because the doctors don't take it seriously. They write that I'm tired but that I'm feeling fine, and now the insurance people won't approve my claim.

It seems to have gotten worse in the last month. I can stay active and alert for one or two hours, then sleep or rest motionless with eyes closed for one or two hours, then up again for one or two and so on.

I thought this was due to hyper thyroidism, and my doctor said it is, but didn't think it was a big deal. MAybe I didnot explain how severe it is.

Anyway, now my blood levels are coming back to normal, but the fatigue is getting worse. I am looking for answers why this would happen?

I am taking Tapazole 10 mg . day and Metoprolol, 25 mg 2x a day, except yesterday I cut it back to 1x a day since Dr. said that was a good idea. Today I had skipping heart, weakness in chest and heart feeling like it's going to start racing or having palpitations, weak and tired all day, need to rest all day till the evening. It made me cry, I was feeling so sick. Is this from lowering dosage of Metoprolol?

Could Metoprolol be causing the extreme fatigue and exhaustion? Could Tapazole? I feel like I asked this elsewhere in the forum... anyway, could you answer please?

Thank you. Rachel.

I suffered from Grave's Disease about 20 yrs ago ( I had Radioactive Iodine Treatment to destroy part of my thyroid).

I want to tell you during this time I can not even explain how bad I felt!
I was exhausted, had heart palputations (still do), tremors, rapid heartbeat, high blood pressure. Thinning hair, buldging eyes. I would be hot and sweaty even if the temperature was cool. My legs would swell.

Grave's Disease causes your body to be in over drive, so to speak. So your body is working very hard even when it is supoosedly resting.
Unfortunately heart palputations seem to be a part of thyroid disease, at least for me and everyone I know that has it.

Be sure and keep tabs on your heart rate and your blood pressure. Your doctor should take this seriously. If not maybe you should find a new doctor or go to an Endrioconologist who understands the thyroid better.

I was very, very sick. How I managed working at the time was beyond me! but somehow I managed.

I wish you the best of luck getting this ugly disease under control.

Hi Kari, a quick reply. Thanks for sending that.

How long did your sickness last ? Are you still ill?

How did the RAI treatment go for you? Is it ok fo ryou?

I can't change specialists because there are only 2 in town and the other one is unpredictable and doesn't do a good job, and might have been coming on to me and was disrespectful to my mother! The next nearest one is 3 hours drive away from here.

My general practitioner is pretty good, but I have to get her to understand my symptoms are real and serious! I don't think she really believes this. There are not many doctors taking patients right now and those who are, you never know if they are good ones or not. Thankfully I found this doctor. She's good and if I tell her clearly what the problem is, then I think it'll be ok, on the insurance form. There's always not enough time for the appt.

Anyway better go. Thanks and keep well. Rachel

The Radioactive Iodine Treatment took care of my Grave's Disease and now I am hypothyroid. I take thyroid replacement (Armour Thyroid) everyday and continue to have my THS blood test once a year to monitor my levels.

I did not want to have the raioactive iodine treatment to be perfectly honest with you but my Endrioconoligist explained to me how it was better than surgery. So I had it instead.

Do I regret it? Absolutely not! Though my metabolism seems to be really slow and I have weight issues I would rather deal with this than being hyperthyroid (Grave's Disease). I feel so much better now.

I've heard several people that have hyperthyroid issues say the Radioactive Iodine does not work for them. I have to wonder if it is because the person giving the treatment was not specialized in this procedure. I would highly recomend that you seek a specialist out to give the actual treatment if you do decide to do it. The specialist I went to was 100 miles one way but I only had to go a couple of times. Definitely worth the trip.

After the treatment my GP has taken care of monitoring and proscribing my medication which makes it really convenient.

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask I will try to answer the best I can.

Your just starting it only gets worse. Iv'e been fighting it since 2007 and every year it's gotten worse I hardly ever leave the house. The docor's wont help. If your numbers are fine They think you are too. Good luck my life is terrible always tired.Nothing I've tried will work I guess this is it.

No Doctor seam to understand what a Grave patient goes through This Fatigue you will have for the rest of your life Have radio Iodine to assist you. It helps in the long run Grave never leaves your body I have been a patient for 20 years I suffer from swollen feet at times I have found that being active has assisted me although when i get tired i have to cut back I have even done Ironman, against doctors advice. But it was a hard slog when fatigue sets in

I been living with Graves since 1995.  Have really swolen feet much worse in the hot weather.  My feet are not only swolen but also deformed now.  Cannot wear closed shoes anymore. Had Radioactive Iodine in 1996.  Have had 9 eye operations and have severe dry eyes.  Just have to keep positive and push yourself to carry on.  It does not help to feel sorry for yourself as it is only worse then.  Tired,  yes very. 

Most endocrinologists do not know how to properly treat hyperthyroidism. Find a naturopath who specializes in thyroid disease. I recently had RAI after being misdiagnosed for 20 years. My endocrinologist did not believe my symptoms were severe because my numbers were not far out of range. My heart has severe problems and I have had anxiety and depression that was unbearable along with many other symptoms. I found a holistic cardiologist and a good naturopath and am finally getting proper help. Good luck.

Graves disease is an autoimmune condition. I walked away from my doctors out of complete frustration. I git sick in 2011 and walked away in 2014. I am not recommending anyone do that I'm simply sharing my personal journey. I had researched on my own and found that autoimmune conditions start in the gut. I addressed gut health from a natural perspective and in 90 days i was symptom free. I went back to the doctor 6 months after starting the natural option and asked for the blood work to be rechecked. My graves was in complete remission. My blood number went from 417 to 32 with the norm under 100. There is hope :)

How did you achieve that please? I am having a hard time here.

Please share doctor :)

Hi. My name is Megan. I am only 30 years old. And I have just been diagnose with Grave's diaese this month and last with hypertyroid last month. I am a mother of 5 year old little girl and 11/2 year old little baby boy. I am also feeling tired and sick. My doctors have me on Propranolol for heart and methimazole for hypertyroid. My doctor told me that I have to stop the methimazole if I get a fever or sore throat. My throat feel tighter and hard to swallow then when I first got diagnosed. Which my doctor my said was my enlarged thyroid and that the methimazole bring it. But it is getting worse and I don't know if it is because getting sore throat or what it is. And my doctor said I had to stop the methimazole when I have a fever or sore throat because it can lower my white blood cell count and I can get sick easier. Plus with grave's diaese being an autoimmune disorder hetting could kill me. I am so sick. I am crying right now writing because I am sick to leave my kids without a mother and my husband left to raise on his own. Should I stop my methimazole and go to ER. Help me please.

What did u do for gut health? AIP diet??

With a sore throat u need to get blood work done asap to check for infection in yr blood. I hope your feeling better. For faster response please join ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** posting of social network links, invitations, or usernames is not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Hello, I have been diagnosed with graves/hyperthyroidism for roughly over 4 years. At the time of diagnosis I was losing inches in height, and losing weight at a rapidly painful rate. I was unable to concentrate or hold a conversation..I have been under treatment with tapazol and postponing Radioactive idione treatment/ surgery for 2 years now, and in the past few months I have noticed drastic incapabilities of holding down a job/school/social life and management of my thoughts, which I have regained composure of extensively since being diagnosed. Migraines and inability to sleep have been taking its toll on my overall mental and physical energy specifically in the past few weeks. I was wondering if anyone knows any coping strategies and tactiques to apply to my every day life to make it easier to go about my life as a 21 yr old female, so I am able to feel more grounded and organized when it comes to what I need to do for my overall health and personal well being.