Hi, I am a vegetarian. I have been on strict vegetarian diet for a long period of time. Obviously I had made some mistake in diet because now I am suffering from vitamin B12 deficiency. Could you tell me how to cure B12 deficiency? I am planning to stay vegetarian with some changes in nutrition plan, of course.

The way to cure this condition is to take regular dosages of B12. It can be given by injection or orally. Doctors usually prescribe injections as treatment. But the problem is that they are painful. By injections they give you 1,000 mcg of B12 daily for one or two weeks and after that 1,000 mcg every one to three months. Orally you would receive 1,000-2,000 mcg daily because of variable digestion of this vitamin with doses of 500 mcg and less. Daily you need around 2 mcg of vitamin B12.