Hi, folks. I have a problem. I have been a vegetarian for years. However, lately I have become sensing something strange. I would suddenly like to eat meat. It is like it came out of nowhere. Can anyone tell me why this happens? I will appreciate all your help considering this. Thanks.

Hi, there. I suggest you to ask yourself why you are a vegetarian. Are your believes still the same? You should make a list. List all pros and cons for vegetarianism and for eating meat. You will come to a solution, I am sure. Maybe you haven’t found vegetarian food with meat flavor. Some vegetarians find this and do not have any need for meat. I hope you will find a suitable solution. Please, inform me what you decide.

It's not surprising that you are craving meat.

Humans are omnivores by nature (eat both plants & meat).

Humans are not omnivores by nature. If so, we'd be able to consume raw meat without getting sick.

Some vegetarians say that they crave meat when they have a vitamin/nutrient deficiency. Maybe that's what's going on. What are you craving? Something iron rich? Eat something with lots of iron and see if that helps. :-)

Humans are carnivorous.

Your system is telling you something is off kilter. You can listen to eat and indulge your cravings now or mess up your health and pay later. It's up to you.

hi i am new and have a Q for u do u think i should become a vegetartan 'cuse i am trying to lose weight would it help me to shed a few puonds or more????? :?

I also do not believe that human are carnivores by nature, but that is a different discussion altogether.

I think perhaps you have some sort of deficiency. Your body tends to crave what you give it most. Like is someone eats a lot of sweets, that is why they have a hard time breaking the habit. BUT, if you have not eaten meat in years, your body is craving it because it NEEDS something. I think you should go get some bloodwork done and see what your vitamin levels and stuff are. Doctors can do that easily and tell you if you have any imbalances or deficiencies. You could try taking vitamins and see if that helps.

Also, for "iamsocool!" Although there are many health benefits for being a vegetarian, I do not think it is something you should do just for some type of quick weight loss. Although vegetarians tend to be leaner and more fit, those are the ones who stick to a really strict diet and don't eat a lot of processed foods, and they also don't lose weight right away, it happens over a long time. Many people think being a vegetarian is simply cutting out meat, it is much more than that. You must get those nutrients from another source. I have been a vegetarian for along time, and did lose some weight, but I was also working out regularly. Of course dropping junk food and fatty meats will benefit you, but you have to do it the right way, otherwise you may yourself get some type of vitamin deficiency. If you want to be a vegetarian, more power to you, but make sure to educate yourself about what you will need nutritionally. It is a big decision.
If you are just looking for weight loss tactics, going vegetarian can't hurt, but good old fashion eating balanced meals (with lots of veggies and fruits of course), and exercising is always the way to go. There is no QUICK fix to weight loss... not one that has healthy and lasting results anyway.

Do people ever do research before they talk? Hey Peppermint read a science book please! We are omnivores and we can eat meat raw without getting sick. Food poisoning is a result of the storage and shipping methods we use and bacterial conditions. You could eat a carcass raw if you just killed it. Animals don't have a problem because they don't ship their kills by train and truck and them eat them 1 month later.

I mean please will people actually learn about something before they talk? This is how bad information is spread.

I don't like killing animals either but if i thought like that i would have to eat rocks. Because plants are alive too and you don't seem to care if you kill them. There is no evidence that a plant doesn't feel pain just like an animal.

When you invent the Star-Trek Replicator that turns rock into food i will be the first to use it. Until then i have to either grow chloroplasts or live with it.

I am too sure what your diest consists of but your cravings could come from several areas, it could be that your intake of fats is too low, it could be that you are not combining your foods properly, it could also be that your ratio of protein;card and fats is not balanced.

my opinion is that you should try to keep a ratio along the line of the following:

fats 20 to 25%

proteins 10 to 12%

starch (complex carbohydrates) 60 to 70%

And most importantly keep your sugar intake at a minimum

There is nothing wrong about how you feel. Your organism demand meat and you decided to supply it with meat. However, you shouldn't completely switch your diet from vegetables to meat only, since it can be dangerous to your health.

Actually, there is a lot of scientific evidence proving that plants and even insects do not feel pain (google it). They also do not feel emotions or have higher thought (that has been proven for sure. Also google it). Killing animals is so sad to some people because of both of those things (they feel pain and emotions). And also, we can't eat every type of meat raw. And, according to doctors and scientists, we shouldn't eat meat more than once a week anyway. Meat was never a big part of our diet until modern society. We can eat it, yes, but we can even eat dirt without getting sick! Plus, you can find every nutrient in meat in plant matter (this has been proven). Also, vegetarians and vegans statistically live longer than meat eaters (google it). I don't hate people who eat meat, and every once and a while (like twice a year) I give in too, but that doesn't change the facts.

Hi all, 

I've been a veggie now for over ten years but the past few months have been craving meat constantly!!

It's been driving me mad, i haven't eaten any meat but the cravings are strong. 

I've been under the weather and ill a lot of late. 

I had some blood tests done at the DR's and the results showed that i had a severe B12 deficiency. 

The dr said this could explain the cravings as red meat is a good source of B12. 

Maybe worth getting a test done? 

sweetjayne x

Wrong! it's not Iron that he craves! it's the special proteins produced only by animal tissue that the body requires , sadly these proteins are different from the stuff you get from plants. He want to eat MEAT 'cause his BODY wants to eat meat. I've eaten raw meat and never gotten sick, WE CAN eat raw meat too.

We ARE omnivores, so are most other primates ie. if you eat meat you will not die + we have canines.

IF he were craving Fe he'd want to drink blood not eat meat silly. OR he would also feel like having spinach and other Iron rich food.

I see in an article that vegetarians can reduce with 30% risk of death and can add up to 9 years in her life. It is a truth... or a myth?

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I've been vegan for 39 years and I have no cravings for meat. The concept of consuming an animal's body is repulsive to me. I'm healthy. Your comment is unscientific garbage.