When our son was just nine months old, he had the cerumen or earwax removed. Luckily, he has not had the need for it again. I cannot tell my disbelief at the time that such a simple procedure should require day surgery. I have never heard some child has problems with cerumen, so I was surprised. Can you tell me more about it, and if anyone have this experience to share it with me.

With problem of cerumen, you can use colaice, which is an over-the-counter stool softener, in the ear. Use this for a few minutes several nights in a row to soften the cerumen or earwax. After this, you should use a Q-tip to remove gently the wax, and you can use Debrox drops in the ear. These drops will bubble up and aggressively remove the wax. We find the Debrox treatment much more effective, but when I have tried it on
myself and it burns terribly, especially if there are any tiny abrasions in the ear canal. That is why I do not know could I recommend this to your son. Not to be too gross, we were blown away to see what impacted wax or cerumen should be. I understand that parents are often very concerned about the amount of earwax or cerumen that oozes out of their child's ears. Likewise, they tend to be apologetic when the doctor has to clean out cerumen to view the eardrums. Important is that you know cerumen is nature's way of keeping the ear canals clean. A sticky substance as cerumen coats the ear canal skin and hairs and traps any dirt or foreign objects.