I have swollen throat glands with white smelly chunks, please tell what to do about it!

Sounds like you have cryptic tonsils. I just had my tonsils out for this a week ago and that's what the ultimate solution is. Go see your doctor.

Vanguard.45

my daughter has the same thing, happen to her ofter although i don't know why. her doctor says, that food gets stuck in the tonsil pockets, which enlarge if when food get stuck there. they do hurt and smell, whooo wheeee! nothing she can do, just try and tolerate it....it problems persists too long she may have to have her tonsils out....like i tell my daughter, plz keep your chunks to yourself, lol....just kidding :-D

Dear Friends, This forum has provided my comfort in the past. I USED to have the same problem. It first occurred when i had a cold, 10 years ago.

Let me first tell you my lifestyle, like answering questions from your doctor on how you live to assist with his/her prognosis. I'm a male in my mid-30s who has no health issues; as far as i know. I am 5'3" and weight about 150lbs. I moderately exercise and has some muscle mass. My diet mainly consists of whole foods and occasionally consume processed food; i love pizza. I have no more than 1-2 beers per night, and smoke 1/2 to 1 pack a day.

Now my theory (Jim, I'm not a doctor)...The food you eat does play a role in this, but its only towards your overall health. The white-yellowish chunks that are in your throat are not pieces of bread, cheese, potato chips or whatever. I doubt a piece of rotten spinach that was stuck in your throat would look or turn into those yellowish chunks. What i originally though the cause was all the carbs that i was eating and drinking, but it wan't my diet.

Your ears, nose, and throat are all connected to each other as we all know. Those chunks are solidified mucus and/or pus that came from your nose or ears. Your tonsils and how they are developed in your mouth, play a big part in this. Folks who have frequent infections in their sinuses, ears, and/or throat, post nasal drip, and allergies are more susceptible to getting white chucks because of the drainage. If your tonsils collect those liquids, the pus/mucus would then solidify and become those chucks. Again, it depends on how your tonsils are because some people who have the mentioned symptoms dont have the nasty white chunks....lucky blokes. I neither have allergies, post nasal drip, or ENT infections. But i do produce a lot of ear wax and smoke and also got the symptoms of sleep apnea (my tonsils are in the way of my breathing; throat opening is too small). So something is draining and the stuff used to solidify in my tonsils.

What is did to prevent those nasty white chunks and got my confidence back. Last year, during the start of the cold winter months, my sinuses would dry up and i thought i was coming on with a cold; when i breathed out of my nose the air felt hot. I remember seeing a neti-pot display at my local drug store, so I decided to try it to refresh my sinuses. Man, that worked and i felt so much better. So i continued to used the neti-pot every other day to prevent my sinuses from getting dry. As the months progressed, I never really caught a cold or the flu. When the cold/flu symptoms would come i would double my neti-pot use. The cold/flu duration and symptoms were half and I never had to be bed ridden.

I also don't use q-tips to clean my ears, every other day i would clean my ears with those ear cleaning spoons. For some reason when i use q-tips, my ears would drain more liquid and my ear canals would be itchy. Plus, q-tips won't remove ear wax.

With the combination of the neti-pot and keeping my ear canals to clear of wax i rarely get those white-yellowish and smelly white chunks in my throat. If i did get the chucks, they would be the size of a grain of playground sand and I would be able to just spit them out instead of having to dig for huge smelly chunks with my finger, or water pik.

Sorry for being so long winded in my story on preventing tonsilliths. I would read a novel if it took that to get rid of those chunks if i had to. Please ignore any grammar mistakes as its late for me and just wanted to get my story out. Good luck to my friends who we all have something in common.

Oliver

I have had whitish/yellow soft balls in my throat for about 6 years they started when I was pregnant with my third child.  Some times they get so bad I have to pick them out and I end up puking up blood they taste awful and smell really bad.  I have been to doctors and ears nose throat experts but  they have know answer for me.  Has anyone had their tonsils out?  If so did the white stuff go please let me no as I am so over this and its affecting my life.  Cheers