What can you tell me about the role of ear wax? Generally, I find it just to be one of the several gross matters that come out of our bodies and that is all. But I do know that it also has some protective function but what does it protect and how?

Well, I can tell you about the medical facts but we all know it more or less. It coats the middle ear and prevents dust particles from entering that area. But, there has been some recent research done by Japanese students about the ear wax and they have discovered there are actually 2 types of it, wet and dry!

Yes, and it looks like the geography plays a role in determining what type we have. European and Africans have wet type (100%), while that percentage in Japan is about 16%. But, what is the actual difference between those two types was not established accurately. And those researchers also said that ear wax and armpit odors are in relation!

Well, we did mention that there are some matters that come out of our body and are not very nice. But since we are animals, living and breathing beings, then it is quite normal. We take those materials for granted, but obviously, there is more to this topic than we think. I guess we can only wait for some further research and examinations.

Earwax is a waxy substance secreted by glands which line the ear. It actually has a number of purposes, ranging from protecting the ear from some infections to lubricating the ear canal. On some occasions, earwax may become impacted in the ear, causing potential problems like obscured hearing. In these instances, medical attention may be required to remove the buildup of earwax.

There are two types of earwax. Wet type earwax is, as you might imagine, wet or at least moist to the touch, and it ranges in color from honey-gold to dark brown. Dry type earwax, on the other hand, is yellow to gray and flaky, and it prevails among Native Americans and some people of Asian descent.

One very important role of earwax is in cleaning the ear. Earwax actually moves slowly through the ear, at around the same rate that the fingernails grow, pushing out dirt, particulate matter, and other materials in the ear. Once earwax reaches the outer edges of the ear, it is supposed to fall out on its own. Earwax also lubricates the ear canal, preventing dryness and discomfort.