I have had an ear infection in both ears for about 4 months. I have been going to an ENT for about 3 mouths and he said I had a fungus infection in both ears. I don't seem to be getting better. My ears are stopped up and I'm having a hard time hearing. Should it take this long to get rid of that type of infection?

As far as I know, these infections may go chronic. I had external otitis and both bacteria and fungus were found to be present. I had to take both antibiotics and some anti-fungal stuff. But the prolongation is usually caused by the fungus. My doctor said I was lucky to treat the infection so quickly (in a month) because most people with fungus in their ears have problems eradicating them.

There are some things you need to be careful about. For example, you shouldn’t allow water to come inside your ears. They should be dry because fungus just loves moist areas. Don’t scratch your ears on the inside, don’t use Q tips as this will only aggravate the condition and your skin.

I also read after my infection was gone that certain doctors remove the fungus mass and then apply some gauze with alcohol and 2% salicylic acid every day.

I hope you manage to get rid of this annoyance real soon.

About 2 weeks ago,i had a very bad itching in my ear i scratch and in 1 day my ear got blocked,couldnt ear.The first time i went to the doctor he told me was wax and give me some drops,of course didnt worked.I was crying with pain,taking medication behind medication to the pain,went again to the doctor last week and he told me was a infection,a deep one,more medication,the pain calm down but still present and my ear still pretty much blocked.Today i went to a specialist ENT and he told me i have a fungus.He try to remove with no luck because is to hard.Now I need put some drops for 4 days and return to him again to see if its soft and remove it.

I have had two blockages removed from my right ear in the last two weeks. As soon as they removed the first one...an other one grew back and completely blocked my ear canal. I joke and say that I'm growing mushrooms in my ears...but they are disgusting spongy plugs that grow and block my ear canal. My clinic has been successful getting them out with an apparatus called The Elephant Ear Washer...
I am being treated with an antifugal ear drop. hopefully this will help!

Our current house (crawlspace under bedroom) provides both of us with ear fungal infections each year in the SPring. Mix 50% rubbing alcohol with 50% white vinegar, dab on all areas infected, including in the ear canal. Allow a small portion to run inside the ear canal, head tilted. The vinegar kills the fungus, the alocohol just drys things out. In two days the infected skin will flake off, and the itching disappear. This approach was first told to me by my ENT doctor. It is easily confirmed on the web.

In answer to the friend who is using the rubbing alcohol and white vinegar,(50/50) mixture, I am presently under doctors advice using a cup of the 50/50 mixture, flushing both ears twice daily for 1 week. Then I go back to the ENT doctor for a check up. So far, so good on the results I am seeing using the 50/50 mixture;-)

A few years ago I also had ear blockages.  I went to my primary doctor several times and was given one prescription after another.  I finally got a referral to an ear specialist..explaining how since I work in a call center that if I can not hear, I can not work and therefore there will be no insurance to pay any doctor..Long story short...the ear specialist tried a few things until one day I brought in a sample of what I was pulling out of my ears..which would only grow back a few hours/days later.  Eureka!  I had a fungus!  From start to finish..9 doctor visits, couldn't tell you how many prescriptions and 6 (yes, six) months later, my doctor said "get Lotrimin liquid drops"..over the counter..$8.  "you know the anti-fungral, athletes foot stuff...put in x drops 2 times a day for a week..."  No fungus ever again.  I only wonder how many other people simply have "mushrooms" growing in their ears  think they are deaf.  It took the "specialist" 3 visits.  One time actually saying, "you know it is dark and damp and icky down there..."  Really?  You went to school for that!   

where can i pick up the lotrimin liquid drops. I have looked every where walmart rite aid ect pls help

Re: I've checked on the lotrimin liquid....a pharmacty must order even though it's otc........  cvs wnats 22.00  which is expensive, but........hoping it cures my 8-10 week sojourn. The nurse yesterday cleaned out a lot of black, mushroomy type debris and i regained most of my hearing ! One of my other ENT's told me I would have to have a septoplasty done---my septum is VERY deviated..and told me that's the root of my easr infections. It may be, but for now, I will put in the lotrimin, and god willing, be rid of these infections.

Anyone want mor info, I have it all, it seems...happy to discuss, perhaps over e mail

my daughter has ear fungus. doc told me to mix 1 tsp vinegar 1tsp alcohol. with a cotton ball put 4 to 5 drops twice a day. so far its working great

I'm trying the alcohol and vinegar solution. I have black spots on my ear drums. I wear hearing aids which are probably keeping moisture in my ears constantly. I have very little ear wax. I'm suppose to go to an ear,eyes nose specialist in a week. I'll see if they find the black spots after I do this home tx.

I'm currently living in Bali, Indonesia. Since I arrived over a year ago I have suffered from both ear bacterial infections and mushroom fungus growth in both of my ears. It has been nearly one year to date that I have know seen 4 ENT specialists, 4 hospitals, and about 6 different clinics. I have had all sorts of anitbacterial medication from drops to oral to topical creams. It has been an extremely frustrating experience needless to say. I have had water spooling to clean out the infection, which lead to the fungus growth, then vacuuming to take out the fungus which would work for about a week, however; the antibacterial drops that I would take to reduce swelling would contain a steroid that the fungus would thrive on so it would return...and I would itch or scratch my ear canal bringing back the infection...a repetitive cycle that I simply cannot and have to break. I have tried to keep my fingers, Qtips, water out of my ear permanently, but it's hard not to want to get that little pinky finger in for an itch or removal of the wax that also builds up due to all the stress on the ear. 

I feel sympathy for all of you in this discussion, believe me. So where am I now. I have tried the alcohol/vinegar mix but it seemed to dry my ear out to the point of re-infection. I have used hydrogen peroxide but that too seemed too strong and resulted in infection. I had ear wax softening drops to dry to get things "moving"...but alas, here I am reading to see what others have tried. I am shocked that my doctors have not given me anti-fungal drops. I am considering a home remedy mix of tea tree oil and olive oil if the drops don't work out.

I wish everyone on this discussion the best of luck as it's hard for others to understand just how debilitating this can be. I feel like I'm talking inside a cave half the time, or half of me is here and the other half there, plus the pulsing, pulsing, pulsing at night is driving me mad. It's difficult to remain at peace.

Good luck.

The last few years ENTs and Pediatricians have advised the use of half and half apple cider vinegar ( kills fungus ) and alcohol for an infection in the ears...cheap and no side effects. Just put a few drops in each ear .Good luck ! you can soak your feet in vinegar ( the white is cheaper) it will kill nail fungus and get rid of dead skin. I would scrub your fingernails after treating toes. using a brush and vinegar. Good luck

Other things that have helped me: Sage and wormwood/black walnut tinctures (soak cotton ball; leave in ear overnight), and I sleep with xylitol mints and Pau D'Arco tea bags. Works really well. Since I didn't get treatment for months while meningitis/mastitis/mastoiditis set in, I've been fighting this off for over a year now. Both ear. And yeah... mushrooms in ears and sinuses.

Most bizarre and traumatic illness I've ever experienced. This fungus literally grew a subdermal vine throughout my body... I feel for everyone here. I'm much better now, and on 400 mg fluconazole daily, but it's been one hell of a journey.

Hi... this is exactly what I and my fiancee have. Was the actual fungus identified?