Hello! I have read that ear swabs are not good for removing the ear wax. I have always done that in this manner, but this article that I have read about the troubles that it can cause, frightened me a little. Please, tell me how to remove my ear wax safely?

Ear swabs are safe if used correctly. It is safe to swab the outer portion of the ear, so as the opening of the ear canal. Deeper swabbing is potentially risky. Ear wax is a sticky liquid secreted by cerumen glands and it prevents that anything foreign is blown into the ear canals. The ear wax can be removed by primary care physicians. Most of them will attempt to remove wax by irrigation (squirting warm water into the ear canal to wash out the wax) or by scooping the wax out with a curette (a very small, metal ring at the end of a metal handle).This treatment can be effective in skilled hands, and painful in not so skilled one. Ear, nose, and throat (ENT) doctors usually remove wax by suction and/or curette techniques. Some home remedies are safe and effective, like a vinegar-water-peroxide solution (1:1:2) that can be warmed to body temperature and applied to the ear canal to soften wax. As a rule, people with a history of any ear disease should go to an ENT for wax problems, nor try to treat the problem by themselves.