I know I am just one more parent concerned about the amount of earwax with my child. I have noticed huge amount of earwax that oozes out of my child's ears. However, I have noticed that I tend to be apologetic when the doctor has to clean out the wax to view the eardrums. All this made me interested into earwax, so I would like if you could tell me more about this strange substance.

Earwax is the same as cerumen, nature's way of keeping the ear canals clean. That sticky substance coats the ear canal skin and hairs and traps any dirt or foreign objects. For example, I could tell you for sure that earwax helps to protect your child from bugs and rocks. The stuff known as earwax accumulates until it simply balls up and falls out of the ear canal. This is happening in the course of normal chewing and talking motion of the jaw. As long as nobody pokes around in the ear with the infamous Q-tip, everything should be fine. The only reason that doctor cleans out the wax is that the eardrum must be visualized for a thorough physical exam in a child. It is not done so that the child can hear better, the fact is he hears just fine through and around the wax. However, you must know it is dangerous to stick a Q-tip in the ear canal. If the child startles and moves, the Q-tip will peel the skin off the bone of the ear canal quite efficiently, beside earwax, and may injure the eardrum or middle ear bones.