I was told I had a fungal ear infection 6 months ago in my right ear. At first I was given Lotrimin AF drops for my ear & after 3 weeks it didn't get better. At the same time I started waking up with my right eye swollen & my lips irritated & my race red. I keep being told it's not related to the ear infection but I'm pretty sure it is.
After being on Ketoconazole & other ear medications not to mention having my ear drained at the doctors office several times they said my fungal infection was clear. I still had the allergic like symptoms of my eye swelling & my lips & face being red on a regular basis. Also my skin gets really dry & flakey. It's now 6 months later & my ear infection has come back strong.
I've been to allergist, dermotologist, primary care , ENT's & eye doctors. I don't know where to turn next.
Has anyone ever experienced something like this????

I have had the same problem in my right ear (for about 7 years), no face symptoms though. I'm frustrated too, have been given all sorts of antibiotic and antifungal ointments and drops, but nothing works. I just found this helpful website if you want to check it out (excerpt below, which may relate to your symptoms): disability.vic.gov.au/dsonline/dsarticles.nsf/pages/Ear_infections?OpenDocument Unfortunately, I still don't know what's up with my ear and it's making me so frustrated (and scared), I just started having vertigo symptoms too and am concerned about long-term damage to my inner ear parts. If anyone can help, PLEASE post answers here and help guide me out of this nightmare...!!!!

Herpes zoster of the ear
Sound is sent as electrical impulses to the brain via the cochlear nerve. Herpes zoster of the ear is an infection of this auditory nerve by the herpes zoster virus. Symptoms include ear pain, vertigo, and small blisters on the outer ear and ear canal and perhaps on the face and neck. The main nerve that services the facial muscles may also become infected, leading to swelling and partial paralysis. Treatment options include:
Antiviral medications such as acyclovir
Pain-killing drugs
Surgery to relieve the pressure on the facial nerve, if required.

my skin has been so crazy lately... dry face and ear lobes... my face and ears bleed now and scab. My eye is getting bad too I have puffy eyes and red veins and discharge from my eye

:-( Seems like the Health Organization would of caught on to this horrible problem years ago. This condition is most often misdiagnosed and treated with antibiotics making it worse. I have been fighting this condition since 1974 or so. I think I got it on the plane with several Viet soldiers (in training here) aboard at that time. What can be done? HELP!!!! This stuff is eating me alive! I feel like I am under attack. Americans are hated people. That's how we get this stuff. Apparently, it will slowly eat us alive and the doctors are duh because they didn't put it in the medical books for Americans. They see it as a foreign thing.....we don't have that stuff here - Vain, aren't we?

I suffer from a similar thing except it is both ears, left ear being the worst. I've used pieces of cotton soaked in colloidial silver. If I keep it in my ears over night it usually will be gone by the next day. I've also used garlic cloves (garlic and silver are natural antifungals).

There is a homeopathic medicine for ear infections that mainly occur in the right ear. You can google it......"homeopathic remedies for ear infections". The medicines can be found at health food stores or some grocery stores have a health food section with homeopathic medicine.

I totally sympathize with you I have had this "stuff" for over 4 years....
Never had a problem before- ears just great..then all of a sudden (age 58)some "water" in ear canal discovered during Dr visit...then sticky ooze started -dries to pearly white flakes and itches. If ooze gets on face can causer nasty sore type break outs. Two Dr looked at left ear with massive rash/cakey sores-treated with antibiotics-anti itch creams and cortisone..cleared some.
Went into right ear also after months and 3rd Dr said-fungus-drops prescribed for infection as itching etc causes infection...said 1/2 vinegar and 1/2 alcohol (so evaporates) would be as effective as fungus.
Did that faithfully two times a day for months -only helped a little.
My primary care Dr has now put me on 14 days of antibiotics and then will refer me to ear Dr...as for last 2 mos ears are squishy and plugged-(just white coated on outer canal) and it is seriously affecting my hearing...Why does not anyone have a real answer on this??
Will post what 4th (now a "real" ear Dr does). At about the same time I became vulnerable to athletes foot fungus-picked it up almost every time I took a shower at the gym and always waiting there to flare up if invuted.
So sometimes wonder if whole immune system is the problem here?????

I have had the same ear infections since I was 7 years old. I am now 22 and still battling them. The doctors cannot seem to figure out what causes it or how to treat it. It is to the point now where my hearing is extremely dulled and I am in pain a lot.

My mother was just diagnosed as having a fungal ear infection by her dermatologist several weeks ago. The dermotologist said it was caused by dandruff. My mother told the doctor she didn't have dandruff but was shown that she did have it.
She was told to wash her hair with Head & Shoulders shampoo and to use a cotton swab and put a dab of Head & Shoulders in each ear.
Thus far she says it is working for her.
Hope this helps.

I've been struggling with an ear infection for about 7 weeks or more. The pain, at times, has been excrutiating. The doctor gave me 3 courses of anti-biotics and 2 types of ear drops but nothing worked. He syringed out my ear twice because it was blocked with pus (not pleasant at all).

I went to the ENT specialist last Friday and he identified the infection as fungal which is why nothing else was working (and why the syringing of the ear - flushing it out with warm water - only helped the infection to continue). He vacuumed my ear with a special tool hooked up to a little compressor which wasn't all that pleasant but effectively cleaned out the c**p building up in my ear. He prescribed me Locacorten-Vioform ear drops (Flumethasone Pivalate) which I have been using twice a day and I have to say it finally seems to be doing the trick. The pain is gone and my ear is clear - the only issue is I need to keep it dry for a month.

Anyway, that's my story and I hope someone's able to identify with my story and possibly sort out their own problem. Good luck.

For me, it started above my lip, kina looking like chaped lips. then the next day when i woke up it was all over my face and ears. It itches, and my doctor said she dosnt know what it is. Its bumpy kinda in a way and its very dry. It keeps on spreding.

About two months ago I went to the doctor with what I thought was an ear infection, since then I have taken 4 courses of antibiotics and two lots of ear drops and nothing has worked,my doctor told me I have a fungal infection in both ears and has referred me to a ENT specialist but I am unable to get in until late september, I am in agony, the pain goes from my ears to my jaw bones and up both sides of my face, I have been told that if left untreated the infection can travel, which has freaked me right out, I am also starting to stress out that I have something more serious, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have had ear fungal infection for 6 years now. It comes and goes every two or three months.The doctor would vaccum out the fungus and perscribe powder. That worked for a while then just last month was perscribe acid drops to kill the fungus. It went from my right ear to my left. I woke up to black goo and some blood coming out of my left ear last monday. That's not the one that had the acid drops,it was the right ear which cleared up so far. Going back to the doctor tomorrow. I'm really tired of this. I us ear plugs every time I take a shower and do not know where it's coming from. Does anyone have any answers out there? Has anyone been successful in putting a stop to ear fungus for good? I don't know how much longer I can stand this.

I had a double fungal ear infection. I have been fighting it for 11 months now and have seen 4 doctors. My last doctor that I saw 2 weeks ago told me I have a food allergy to flour and sugar. I don't know what to think of that. I recently lost weight and watch my carb and sugar intake so I am not inclined to agree with her. I have been eating fish 5-6 times a week so I am wondering if I have a build up of mercury or some toxin from the fish. I don't know what to do. No one seems to be able to help me either and the infection is moving into the canals on the side of my neck now.

Wild oregano oil is helping me tremendously to get relief from many years of ear infections that I couldn't cure. Before trying it, I used to get some great relief putting a mixture of 50% of 3%hydrogene peroxyde and 50 % of water in my ear canals.
Regarding the wild oregano oil, I use a brand that has 80% carvacrol so it is a very potent remedy. I dilute a few drops in a tablespoon of olive oil, and then I apply and massage the oil on the back of my ears (on the bone structure of the ear). It is very strong so no need to pour any in the ear canals (this could also be very bad for the ears).
Hope this helps.

ps : I have no idea if I really have ear fungus infection. I was told I may have ear eczema by one doctor but I refuse to put cortisone in my ears so I haven't seen a doctor in years. Wild oregano oil has an excellent reputation in fighting fungal skin conditions. Use very carefully.

I too, have struggled with ear infections, for more than 10 years. Doctors, Ear Nose and Throat, you name it, living hell, never diagnosed me properly but gave me drops, creams, antibiotics, ruined my health, and now I've researched online, I think I must have this Herpes Zoster of the ear. It's been hell but while all this went on, I discovered that certain foods I eat bring it on immediately. I found a study on ear infections in children and certain food allergies bring on the infections. I control it now with diet, now I avoid those foods like; no nuts at all, I read the supplements as well. I've had some supplements that had nuts, or form of herb/nut be careful that I can't have that either. I'm thinking even avocados are attached to a nut there, and pitted fruits?? It could be the Arginine content is so high with a nut based foods? I don't eat a lot of milk products, or chicken, soy, avoid wheat, corn, white rice and flour. I journal my diet to see if I have the liquid appear in my ear to see my reaction to certain foods, the next day reflect on my ear and my journal. This has really helped me to know what in my diet effects me. If I have chicken or milk products, I make sure organic. I am on a gluten free diet and that is going great! I hope all suffers of this benefit from my information. The antibiotics caused my thyroid to shut down and so, many other issues, weight gain, which I'm now losing weight after going on this diet. Good Luck to all! The blood type diet helped too! I try to use the journal for my ear, blood type diet and thyroid diet as well, combined, at last I'm healthier!