hi, i've been having some problems with my hearing. Its only in one hear(left) my right ear is fine as for now. Like this only occurs in the morning right when i wake up and as the day goes by, it gets slightly better but the same thing happens every morning. I tried buying those earwax removal things and i prolly thought those might help but it seems like it isnt earwax :-( . anyone have an idea of what i might have %-) ? or any type of vitamins i could take to try to fix it O_O. oh btw, im middle aged, 40s.

thank you so much in advance :-)

Hi, wondering if you ever got this problem resolved. I have this exact same problem right now. I wake up with a hearing problem in my left ear, which gets better throughout the day. It feels a lot like having an ear plugged from a cold, except I don't have a cold. This has been going on for four days. I'm pretty sure it's not earwax for me either. Hope someone might have some clue about what's going on! Thanks!

Yeah... This just happened to me this morning. Left ear too. I don't know if this will help but; I remember waking up on my right side so my left ear was facing toward the ceiling. For now I'm thinking it might have something to do with gravity.

i also have this problem occassionally.. it seems to be aggravated when I eat or drink poorly late the night before, like last night I had pie and soda and it was really bad this morning. i will have to note late night diet when this happens again. it is scary to feel like you are losing your hearing. i have heard that the kidneys are related to hearing so it is not that surprising soda would only make it worse..

I think its related to eating poorly and for me it is after a night of drinking...so I believe it has to do with acid reflux and getting into your sinus cavities and inner ear and staying there while you sleep that is why it fades away as the day progresses.

as a medical student...I'm going to say...the best option is start living a healthy lifestyle...better diet and exercise!!...but do keep regular check ups with a doctor :)

Did anyone ever find a solution? I am having this problem in my right ear and it's gotten me very worried.

I've developed this over the last week. Happens on and off, and my right ear seems to be permanently congested. I think it occurs when I sleep with my ear to the pillow. Going to try and keep my head straight and see what happens. I've already de waxed my ear and I'm currently on a 7 day course of anti inflammatory ear drops. I'm also going to try resting my ear into a cooked onion. Sounds crazy, but it seems like a common solution. Microwave an onion, put it in a sock, then press it against your ear.  Really to wake up in the morning and find your self deaf. Hope we can all find a solution to this, 

I HAVE HAD THIS PROBLEM FOR 2YEARS... AND IM EMBARRASED TO SHARE THAT I HAVE NOT EVEN BEEN TO THE DOCTORS TO SEE ABOUT IT BECAUSE I DONT HAVE ANY INSURANCE. I HAVE ALSO USED EAR CLEANING PRODUCTS AS WELL AS PEROXIDE AND IT DOESNT SEEM TO WORK. SOMETIMES THIS PROBLEM LASTS UP TO A WHOLE WEEK AND MONTHS LATER IT WILL COME BACK WHILE IM SLEEPING AND I WAKE UP WITH HEADEACHES AND HEARING LOSS. I MAY GO TO THE ER

I have been having the same problem in my left ear. I am scheduled to go to the doctor as soon as school lets out. I am at least relieved to know that it is not just me. My symptoms are real. I will repost when I have something. (My primary care thinks it's a middle ear infection.)

I have had the same issue with left ear only 50% hearing loss from rt ear. I have had 3 extensive ear exams and still worse in the am. I have been told with everything ruled out I.e. lyme disease, tumor, infection, allergies, no facial bone or muscle issues. That is looks like a facial nerve beinging compressed that runs along the ear nerve which is good. I'm confused but will check back as I'm still finding answeres.

You seem to be concerned by the clogging of left ear on lying towards your left side. There are a number of causes of an ear feeling blocked or muffled. One is negative middle ear pressure. This is caused by a malfunctioning Eustachian tube. The Eustachian tube connects the middle ear to the back of the nose. It opens and closes when we swallow or yawn, allowing the pressure to equalize between the middle ear and the outside world. When it does not work properly, negative pressure develops in the middle ear, making the ear feel blocked. Common causes for Eustachian tube problems include: Allergies, colds, sinus infections, barotraumas (injury to the ear from changes in atmospheric pressure). When the Eustachian tube is severely impaired, fluid can build up in the middle ear. This causes hearing to decrease. A middle ear infection can do the same. After the infection clears, the blockage can go on until the Eustachian tube is back to normal. Pain and swelling around the jaw joint (temporomandibular joint) often cause a blocked sensation in the ear. The exact cause of this sensation is not clear. A change in hearing, such as sudden hearing loss, can also make the ear feel blocked. And a condition called otosclerosis can block one's hearing. Otosclerosis is the abnormal formation of spongy bone in the ear. When ear blockage continuing as in your case, an exam by an ear nose and throat specialist (otolaryngologist) and a hearing test (an audiogram) are needed. You may need more tests depending upon the findings of the exam and first hearing test. Treatment can then be directed at the cause to help eliminate the problem. Hope this helps. Take care. Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

I sure hope so I'm having the same problem and only in the left ear I have to make sure I don't sleep on my right side

I woke up with this problem this morning.I'm praying that God will restore normal hearing.

I am only 14 and I just woke up and my left ear is death. Also last night it was itching very bad and I was itching it. I don't know what to do should I go to the hospital ?

I have the same strange thing with my left ear. I went to ENT today and I have scar tissue on my left bear from childhood infections and have been dealing with this for a while. It always seems to return to normal and starts right in the fall. Likely ragweed allergy affecting my Eustatian tube dysfunction I have been diagnosed with. Sometimes when I wake up it seems certain tones don't sound right and cause almost a metal sound or a sound line when water gets forced in your ear at the pool and you pound your head and hear that "ting..ting". I am 49 by the way and I do have age related hearing loss according to my tests but this condition has been going on for years and as I said always seems to fix itself over some time.