I know that the physiologic factors that control the sebaceous glands that produce earwax in the ear canal are not fully known. However, I have heard that the function of the modified apocrine or ceruminous sweat glands has been well established. All this I learn from my cousin, which has huge problems with his son. He had increased amount of earwax last month. That is why I would like to hear more about this problem, and something about glands, which produce earwax.

First, to tell you that rubbing or cleaning the canal wall is resulted in a mechanical milking of the cerumenous glands. These glands as you already know produces earwax. In some cases, vigorous chewing caused distortions of the ear canal that caused the same milking effect as previous explained. I know all this because we have been given two ways to remove earwax of our child from our pediatrician. He told us to use Colaice, which is an over-the-counter stool softener. He said to apply it in the ear for a few minutes several nights in a row to soften the wax. Then we needed to use a Q-tip to remove earwax gently. After this, he told us there is another way to help our child with earwax problem, with using Debrox drops in the ear. The drops will bubble up and aggressively remove earwax. We find the Debrox treatment much more effective, but I have to say that I have tried it on myself. It burns terribly, especially if there are any tiny abrasions in the ear canal, so I could not recommend this to any child as treating earwax problems.