I had a Cervical Laminectomy 4 weeks ago and still have much weakness in my left arm and hand. I have a lot of numbness in my left thumb and forefinger. I am right handed and my right arm and hand has significantly improved, although I still have some weakness. I was told by both surgeons that it was successful. However, one told me the weakness is related to the C5 nerve and this is rare, but not uncommon. The doc in the rehab I was in for two weeks did a pin prick test and said I should recover. I go to physical therapy and do my suggested exercises. I only see very slight improvement in the left arm and hand.

Any suggestions or experience would be helpful. Thanks!

I had surgery on Feb.24, 2010. I am experiencing a lot of pain in my left arm in the Bicep area and then generating down to my thumb and index finger. Dr. put me on a steroid pack a couple of days ago but not seeing much relief. Thumb also tends to feel numb wierd feeling.

Hey guys, I had cervical laminectomy c2-c4 in June of 2009. My arms and fingers were weak or numb for nearly 7 weeks after surgery. I just kept using "stress balls" to exercise my hands and eventually everything came back!