An accident aggravated cevical spondylitis my father had. A cervical laminectomy was performed to remove spinal cord compression.However, after the surgery he feels weakness in his right arm and leg.Physiotherapy is on and any improvement is real slow.Is that normal? Will he recover completely?

Hello! How long has it been since the surgery? A recovery from laminectomy may also depend from your father’s medical condition as well as his age, eating and smoking habits.

Has he been checked for possible complications following surgery? What are his follow-up results? Did they say that the procedure was successful? One of the possible complications is failure to eliminate As far as I know, the weakness of extremities is usually a result of spinal cord compression or even of the injury to the spinal cord or spinal nerves.

However, some of the pain and weakness following laminectomy is normal. Physical therapy should help in that case. Under perfect condition, a recovery should last up to 3 months but a patient should be able to drive and do light work after 4-6 weeks.

I am a 46 year old female and had a posterior cervical laminectomy on Nov. 10th,2009 due to a reverse curve in my neck. When my surgeon started to explain the procedure I was panic-stricken when he said they would saw the cervical bones and didnt want to know all the details at that time because I felt I would be more of a nervous wreck than I already was. Now that I've had it done I would like to see the procedure on video. Do you know of any that I can access online? I would be happy to share my experience with anyone who is thinking of having it done. I think it would have helped me to have talked to someone that had experienced it.

Dear Guest,

I will probably be undergoing a cervical laminectomy in the near future. I found a number of videos on youtube that would be of interest.

Nooch190

vIf you still check your posts, I would like to know more about your experience. I am scheduled to have a cervical laminectomy with a fusion in June and I would like to talk to someone who has had this procedure done to find out about the recovery, did it work for them and what they think overall about having had the surgery. You may contact me at

*** post is edited by moderator *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

if anyone would like to get ahold of me. Thanks