I am a 26 year old male and I got a herniated disk in my neck (c6-7) two years ago in a bicycle accident.  Despite conservative treatment, I have not been able to rid the pain in my neck.  I do not have pain or numbness down my arm but the neck pain has gotten to be bad.  Has anyone had the C6-7 fusion and is willing to tell me about their results?  Also, I have heard about the relatively new artificial disks.  Does anyone know about those and can you explain how they compare to th standard fusion.  Thanks.

Yes --I had it done 2010 for c5 thru c7. I had 2 consults. My 3 dics were pressing spinal cord. I have other small herinations as well but these c5-c7  were causing me to go  paralyzed on right side.  I had 2 level fusion. I have no regrets---it gave me my life back. I was told prior to surgery --this is done more from a neruo standpoint not for pain -- it did alleviate most of my pain. Most good surgeons will advise you the same. I do have a real good friend I took to my surgeon after he had mri ----he had 2 large herniations on c6 and c7 but they were not pressing the spinal cord. The surgeon told him at this point no surgery.... he felt his best option was to do ESI (epidural steriod injection) he had 2 shots done in  3 months and has been pain free since 12-2010. You need to read and educate yourself about this or any spinal surgery because of the future risk ---adjacent disc disease etc....in my case i had no choice without it I would have had perm damage and be paralyzed on right side. Since your young I would try everything first....surgery shld  be a last resort.  When u say conservative I didint know if u meant chiro or pt.. ESI might just work .....in your case I hope so.  Im in my 40's but very active----both surgeons I seen were not thrilled about artifical discs---in my case it wasnt option because thats only done on a single. I met someone who had it done 3 yrs ago to end up having a fusion. Im not a expert on it but I would be skeptica--- surgeons I remember them not being fond of it. Stating fusion was the GOLD STANDARD. Best wishes!!

I am 39 with a single level herniation at C7. I'm faced with surgery as the only option to help me with pain in my neck and arm. Not sure what to do. ADR or ACDF, orthopedic or nuerosurgeon. I'm curious to know what did you decide with your situation as it seems to be exactly what I am dealing with. Also I was told that at C7 would be fusion as it the lower point on the neck. Mobility would be almost the same. Please let me know what your status is.

Robb, Im foing pretty good now still no regrets. Having had 3 consults and good friend who had bad result with adr--I would chose acdf its gold standard and proven history with high success rates. The surgery recovery was not bad at all the pain prior to surgery for me was so much worse. My mobility is excellent. I picked orthopedic spinal surgeon who was Harvard grad I researched him before hand on rate md.com had great reviews. I was nervous because i have a good career and built a new house and Im single --the surgery gave me my quality of life back looking back I wasted alot of time being nervous. I wish the same for you Robb!!

Seeing all the horror stories out there is exhausting. I really appreciate this reply I think more of the success stories need to be published. I am fortunate to have an appt with the director of spine surgery in Morristown, NJ. I really appreciate your response. Going to make the easier.