Hi, in my son’s school couple of children got chicken pox in the last couple of weeks. My son never received this vaccine when he was a baby. Is it too late now to get this vaccine?

It’s actually called varicella vaccine, because this virus causes chicken pox, and it’s used to make a vaccine against it. It is usually given to children from 12 to 18 months of age. However, sometimes children get chicken pox even if they received the vaccine. In that case, they have milder form of the disease than the other children. This vaccine is generally safe and it prevents getting this disease in 90% of cases. Adults who never had chicken pox, and are in constant contact with risky groups, should get this vaccine. Chicken pox is not dangerous, but it is hard to cope with. Children are usually miserable for couple of days, and sometimes they develop scars all over the body.