I was just wondering who has had their child vaccinated against chickenpox. Here, where we live, this vaccine is not given to children but our pediatrician said it is available here if we decide to get out toddler vaccinated. Any advice would be appreciated.

I’ve chose not to vaccinate my children for chickenpox because I feel they are already receiving so many vaccinations. My 5 year old and 3 year old are currently having chickenpox and it is very mild, for my 5 year old he has no more than 20 spots on his body and the other one even less. Maybe I am wrong, but his is decision.

It’s actually called varicella vaccine, because this virus causes chicken pox, and it’s used to make a vaccine against it. It is usually given to children from 12 to 18 months of age. However, sometimes children get chicken pox even if they received the vaccine. In that case, they have milder form of the disease than the other children. This vaccine is generally safe and it prevents getting this disease in 90% of cases. Adults who never had chicken pox, and are in constant contact with risky groups, should get this vaccine. Chicken pox is not dangerous, but it is hard to cope with. Children are usually miserable for couple of days, and sometimes they develop scars all over the body.