Hi, I am a twenty eight years old woman. I have been pregnant for eight weeks. Few days ago I saw a TV show about chicken pox in pregnancy. The explanation of this illness has troubled me since. However those medical terms really confused me. Could you please tell me about chicken pox in pregnancy and do I need to be worried?

Hi, every disease in pregnancy can be dangerous for both mother and a child. Chicken pox is a viral infection caused by a Varicella-Zoster virus. Children are mostly affected by it. There is a great possibility that you have got over this disease when you were a child. As a result, your body has created antibodies that protect you from getting infected again. This means that you are immune to chicken pox for the rest of your life. However if this is not the case, and you get infected during the first trimester of the pregnancy, the consequences for the child can be significant. The baby may be born with serious abnormalities such as mental retardation, short limbs, small head, eye problems and low birth weight. If you are not certain that you got over chicken pox, you should pay a visit to the doctor who will do some tests which will determine if you are immune to the Varicella-Zoster virus.