Hi, my friend is suffering from bell's palsy for several days and he is experiencing pretty strong pain. He decided to visit his doctor and to seek help. After examination doctor told him that he is suffering from bell’s palsy which is caused by shingles. I would like to know something more about this.

Hi, shingles is different name for herpes zoster which appears at people who suffered from chicken pox. Once you had chicken pox virus varicella-zoster virus stays inside the nerve forever. It wouldn't be activated until the immune system became weak or someone comes in older ages. In such situation varicella-zoster may cause paralysis of facial nerve or bell's palsy.

Hello there cosimo,

As sander has already explained to you all the facts about palsy paralysis I presume that you have been satisfied with the answer so there is no need to repeat his words. Anyhow I hope that your friend has recovered by now and he was so unlucky to get palsy paralysis after he had chicken pox as a child. I don’t know how old is he but this usually happens in midge or even later if it ever happens. Number of people who get zoster virus again in their lives is relatively small but it can happen.

Anyhow, there is nothing to be afraid of because this is not contagious condition like chicken pox.  

I took the shingles vaccine 2-3 years ago because of fear of getting shingles after hearing the accounts of friends who had it.  About 3 weeks later I came down with Bell's Palsy.  I researched the internet and found that it is caused by the same virus that causes shingles.  I am sure in my mind that the shingles vaccine caused this condition in my case.  I had permanent nerve damage and now my smile (and I had a beautiful smile) is so distorted that I prefer not to smile in photographs and as far as I know there is no remedy.  The fact that no one in my family on either side has had shingles (and many of us have had chicken pox) serves to strengthen my suspicions.  In any case,  I believe before this vaccine was offered to the public this should have been investigated, if for no other reason, because Bell's Palsy is caused by the same virus and it makes sense to protect the public from the possibility of any illness related to shingles.  Not to have done extensive research concerning this is another example of the carelessness on the part of  the FDA.  I have read of others on the internet who had this condition after taking the shingles vaccine.   I personally try to pass on my experience to anyone I know who is considering taking the vaccine.  It is relatively new and not enough research has been done.

I had bells palsy about 6 years ago and I know that it is the same virus as shingles......now no one can tell me if I should take the shingles shot or not! All the physicians I have talked to say they are not sure 50/50 what I should do! Interesting!!

I too took the shingles shot about two weeks ago out of the fears from the television commercials on shingles. Half a week or so later I developed Bell’s palsy and immediately suspected the shot.

If there ever was the slightest evidence that the shot could cause such a life interrupting reaction as Bell's palsy this should have been investigated completely before the vaccine was released.

Just the number of such cases and the feel of the whole thing rings cover-ups and a rush to put the Shingles vaccine out on the market. I think the U.S.D.A. and/or any other current responsible government agency should be investigating this.

Possibly all of us who developed this condition within days-weeks-or months of this vaccine should be getting together with one of those lawyer groups who are so good at class action law suits to get the ball rolling and make the Government take notice.

It seems that law suits and bad publicity is the only way to shake the tree anymore. Maybe after the lawyers take their major chunk of any settlement we could get some minimal compensation but more over we could make the difference in stopping the future cases from the vaccine.

Please contact me about this if interested an/or tell your frienbds whole suffered with this.

It happened to me, as well! The informational sheet given on the vaccine is dated 2009 and does not state the complete risks involved, nor does it mention the 50/50 chance of a person still coming down with Shingles. The Varicella Vaccine is on the list of vaccines from the National Vaccine Compensation Program, and thus this vaccine should never have gotten out to the public since this is a much higher dosage. I have contacted two big law firms: one in Richmond, and the other in Dallas. Your calls get routed to a paralegal and each paralegal from both law firms did not know the vaccine compensation program guidelines, yet these firms specialize in disputes of this type. They told me they could not help me, but they are the ones that scored the lowest at their schools. Stupidity abounds the public.

Start your paperwork now. Get organized and fill out the compensation program paperwork. I lost my hearing, my job, my car, my home,
virtually cannot work at any of my careers now since smiling, hearing, and speaking clearly are necessary.

Not sure if this helps with anyone's opinion of the shingles vaccine causing bell's palsy but in my case I had the shingles in 2012, I have not had the vaccine, I then came down with bell's palsy five months ago, which I still have. ER doc asked me if I had the shingles but never alluded to the fact that it was associated with shingles. At any rate, at a recent annual physical my doctor suggested the shingles vaccine (among other things of someone my age, it's like he was following a check list). My insurance didn't cover it so he suggested I check back later. I think I'm glad...not to sure I want it at this point.

Me Again! I now think either cover up or no money being used to research the link or the whole connection to these medical links between bell's palsy, shingles and maybe other things as well, or to the shot causing strange flare ups like bell's palsy. My Dr. told me when he was in med. school there was a thing about these connections but no one would talk much about it from the ed. staff. Curious!

i AM A bOARD cERTIFIES fAMILY mEDICINE PHYSICIAN WHO HAS PRACTICED MEDICINE FOR OVER 40 YEARS. fIRST, LET ME TELL YOU THAT NO WHERE near 1/3 of people get shingles. That is a lie to scare people into spending money on the vaccine. Second, I took the shingles vaccine, and 4 to 5 days later came down with Bell's Palsy. I know the vaccine caused it. All vaccines are bad!!! until proven otherwise.

I got shingle shot from veterans administration. A month or so later got bells palsy

I have come down with a reoccurrence of Bell's palsy which I had 8 years ago,. I had the free shingles vaccine for over 70's 3 weeks ago. I am seeing the specialist tomorrow .
Coincidence? I don't think so after reading all these comments

Today I visited the Cleveland Clinic for a second opinion to prove or disprove I have MS. I suffered a left facial #7 cranial nerve episode which presented similar to Bells Palsy "18 days" after simultaneously receiving the flu shot and shingles vaccine. I thought I was being proactive to protect myself, but it appears this backfired. It was explained today that people with 'compromised immune systems' SHOULD NOT take this 'live virus'. I have had two MRI's, a Spinal Tap and now taking speech therapy to get my facial muscles back. I am more fortunate, it has been 7 weeks and my limitation is inability to close my left eye entirely and to smile. After seeing your post, I will contact the CDC with my test results and the Shingles shot documentation to pursue answers! I am not sure how to maintain confidentiality but am willing to provide an email to start discussions, petition or a campaign. At the least, we should be warned of the potential side effect of the shingles shot for those who may have compromised immune systems.

An update to all, I reported my incident to the CDC Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting system site; I believe those of us reporting here are the statisical anomalies ( ie. half of a half percent) who suffered adverse effects. But it would be nice if there is a pre-screening to protect those who may have a tendency to incur side effects.

Don't don't type or speak like you do. You sir, are a liar. You are not a doctor.