China has been accused of harvesting the organs of thousands of executed prisoners every year to sell for transplants.
In a statement, the British Transplantation Society condemned the practice as unacceptable and a breach of human rights. In March, China said it would ban the sale of human organs from July.
The British Transplantation Society says an accumulating weight of evidence suggests the organs of thousands of executed prisoners in China are being removed for transplants without consent.
Professor Stephen Wigmore, who chairs the society's ethics committee, said that the speed of matching donors and patients, sometimes as little as a week, implied prisoners were being selected before execution.
Chinese officials deny the allegations.
Just last week a Chinese health official said publicly that organs from executed prisoners were sometimes used, but only with prior permission and in a very few cases.
Professor Wigmore said: "The weight of evidence has accumulated to a point over the last few months where it's really incontrovertible in our opinion”.
The emergence of transplant tourism has made the sale of health organs even more lucrative. Patients increasingly come from Western countries, including the UK, as well as Japan and South Korea.
The Chinese authorities recently announced steps to tighten regulations. From July, selling organs will be illegal and all donors must give written permission.

Human should have human rights, but if prisoners have taken away somebody else' human rights then they should have theirs taken away from them. After all, they are given back something that they have taken away.

After having neck surgery in 2005 I discovered the implant used could have contained contaminated tissue because of illegal "harvesting" here in the United States.
There was a ring of morticians in the northeast removing body parts and tissue from corpses without permission. Some of these were diseased organs! Thanks goodness an arrest was made and these greedy, self centered men were prosecuted.
My point...can you imagine what it is like learning that an implant may be contaminated with Hep C, HIV and syphillis?
Can you imagine walking into a doctor's office demanding these test? Then worrying about what the test results may be?
Let me tell you it is no fun!
Yes the manufactorer (Medtronic for one) that bought these illegal body parts claimed they went through a sterilization process and that disease was not possible. Tell me why then they had/have a major law suit against them because people had contracted these diseases after they recieved implants?
My personal opinion is that this goes much farther than taking away a prisoner's rights. People's health is at risk because we do not know for sure what type of person and there illnesses the body parts are coming from. There is too much money involved with the sale of these parts for all of the legal papers to be valid and true.
It should be illegal!

I personally would definately not want to have organs from some criminal. In countries such as UK, they're growing up organs using stem cells from the patient. I am for this. But I am also not against taking organs from prisoners, but of course special precautions should be taken. Even sterilization is not acceptable. If that person has a disease, and the organ has been affected, that should be a no no.

Thank god you were not affeced, and hope you have recovered well.