Hi I'm almost 15 and a female, today I was drinking orange juice out of the jug and my friend made me laugh and the juice went down the wrong hole COMPLETELY. I started coughing violently at first but then my flap closed and I couldn't breathe at all. My science teacher and friend were there, my friend started giving me the Heimlich and I burped and that helped me a little but I was still choking and my science teacher told me to breathe out of my nose, and it opened the flap and I could breathe again and I calmed down. *****I want to know why breathing through my nose worked but my mouth didn't, it doesn't make sense to me because they both go down the same way through the same hole****

Health Guru
its all to do with the muscles, when you breath through your nose its a more relaxed breath, if you have been running and you get out of breath and you breath through your mouth it takes longer to get your breath back because its more short sharp breaths where as if you breath through your nose its more relaxed longer breaths meaning you recover quicker. :-)