Does "In the nose, out the mouth" really matter? I've been trying to do it for the last week, but by the second mile I feel like I'm not getting enough air, so I go back to "In the mouth, out the mouth" so I don't roll over and die, heh.

Does it effect my CV shape that much?

I've been inhaling and exhaling thru my mouth while running for 15 years and it doesn't bother me.

"In the nose, out the mouth" is something a non-runner came up with. I'm totally convinced. Absolute horse pooie. When you're running, breathe air in your mouth, your nose, heck, suck it through your ears if you can figure out how. And then exhale the same way. The more you can forget about breathing and just let it happen naturally, that's the most efficient. Yeah, it's one of my pet peeves. Long distance running takes no special breathing technique.

I use that only when I get cramps it is a great way to get rid of a cramp. Otherwise I never really think about it.
When I am moving along at a good clip, I am a mouth breather.

I never really noticed what I did/do.

heavy mouth breather here too. It works for me.

I too can't breathe trough nose very long... maybe in long, slow runs but not wery often

Oh. Well, good to know I'm not the only one who thought that was a load of trash.

Thanks for the help guys.

I had heard that my whole life, in through nose, out through mouth. I never could do it. I was sucking wind in no time when I used to try that while training for soccer season. I always breath in/out of mouth.

I just recently picked up running as my daily excersice after years of sedintary lifestyle. My first cpl days, even on an easy walk/run routine, I was VERY winded just breathing in and out of mouth.

So I googled for breathing techniques and came across something that said to breath deeply so that you can feel your lungs really expanding instead of short, quick breaths. I tried it and it seemed to help me tremendously in the middle of my runs. I breath as deep as I can and exhale somewhat slowly.

I start normally, easy in and out. When I feel that Im needing more oxygen I do the deep breathing and it gets me over the hump for 10min or so. Towards the end of the run Im inhaling on a 1-2 count, and the inhale alternates foot steps. Start in on the left foot strike, a quick mental 1-2 count, exhale, and back in on the right foot strike. Thats only when Im really getting winded though.

I think everyone is different and you have to find what works best for you. But try the deep breathing it may help.

I've had more success with just focusing on when I breathe instead of how. I've noticed that when I'm not thinking about it and my rhythm is going I kinda do this half-mouth, half-nose breathing that seems to be very efficient for me.