Hello!

For the passed 3 days now, going on 4, I have been having problems breathing through my left nostril. When I breathe out of it, it's fine but when I breath in air through it, it's as if it hurts and stings so bad that it causes my left eye to tear up and make me cringe. It's almost like it's super dry but i still have mucus comming out of it. My right nostril however is working just fine.

Has anyone had this problem before? And is there a solution to it with over the counter products that I could use to make this go away? If so how long should it take for this to bypass?

Thanks very much!

I am experiencing the exact same problem! Did you ever figure out something to help you? if not, how long did it last for?

Thanks!

I too have this exact same problem and through my left nostril, its pretty painful, i have had it for 4 days now.

I have the same problem also, anyone have an answer????

petrolium jelly. it works..no lie. just a little bit =)

This happens to me to. Especially if I have done something like exercise which involves heavy breathing, then I have a really bad sneezing attack, then the pain, and runny nose, and watery eyes, and headaches. I found out I have nasal polyps. This has some more information on that.]
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002607/
However, you'll see that it says that these symptoms aren't associated with nasal polyps unless there is a sinus infection involved. But this doesn't seem like a sinus infection to me, considering it is really, really bad pain but only for a couple days. So I'm trying to look into whether or not this is some kind of turbinate dysfunction, http://www.utmb.edu/otoref/grnds/Turbinate-2003-0312/Turbinate-2003-0312.htm, although the dysfunctions listed in this site all talk about congestion, when that really isn't the problem. So I'm confused!! It hurts!! Anyone else find anything out?

Theres one method that always helps me with any sinus problem :-| : wash nose with sea salt. Fill full cup of hot/boiling water,put full tablespoon of natural sea salt(not the one thats for bathing,just natural sea salt,not crushed,the one thats not completely crushed like table salt) and stir it till salt melts fully,then take pipette or syringe without needle and fill it with salt water,then look up,turn the head back as much as you can,open your mouth and relax, with syringe or pipette pour salt water into nose ( one for each nostril) and keep your throat open, if your doing correctly then water will come out from your mouth and you'll just spit it out,it's not the best feeling xp,but just relax and don't breath in or swallow the water with salt. Repeat this at least 3 times per day,if youre in really bad condition then i suggest you do this each hour or as often as you can. It always helps me from sinus or any illnes thats connected with nose. hope it helps  :-)  :-)

I have this problem as well. when I inhale there is a sharp pain in my head that follows the path of my nostril through my eye ten to my head. I try only exhaling through my left nostil. i have also drank water when I have the pain to the dry feeling. I even tried the petroleum jelly thing too. It does work but only temporary relief. I've gone to my doctor and he says there is nothing going on that they could detect. I've been dealing with this for 8 years.

I have the same problem, with my right nostril.  It just started yesterday and it has been driving me mad, so i hope it doesnt last for years!  I thought perhaps it was some tear duct thing getting a bit clogged so when the air comes through the nostril it aggravates the duct and causes the tears, which in turn causes a runny nose as well.  not sure what to do, some doctors suggest getting your ducts flushed, but it is technically a surgical procedure that requires anesthesiology so I'd rather not resort to that.

I have the same issue but right nostril and my right eye is burning/watering. When the right side of my nose folls and starts to run, wen I haven't blown it empty the pain is not so bad. My eye is still disturbed. I haven't tried but I'm wondering if a humidifier might work?

Can you please send me those links! Thanks!

Hey ana, you can register here, go to my profile and send me a private message. I'll send to you back the papers or the information that I have gathered related to AENSyndrome. There are also some other article titles that I've found related to AENS, the only problem is, I just can't read them myself because of my location(they are available to US and some few EU countries) :( I think we can help each other so much and that together we can manage to do a lot more than our own. 

Related to AENS, this seems to be a really rare syndrome and little is known about it outside some very few scientific journal articles. There is no information on the internet about AENS ( no wikipedia, no wrongdiagnosis or other similar websites. not even paindifferentialdiagnosis), the only way I can reach the information is by someone who has a better location than mine and can read themselves the articles. Few medical pages are available on the internet, and I tried to build a"puzzle" from the information found in them, but still I'm sure some information from the rest of the articles would be a life saver! (a more detailed description of the syndrome, variations of it, and more detailed treatment options). There is a cure: through decompression, injections or sectioning of the nerve (with minimal scarring). We CAN have a normal life and we can get rid of this horrible pain! the question is only HOW exactly, a detailed description of it!

Everyone can register here and send me a private message if you want, I'll respond back to you soon.

I'll also post tomorrow here on this thread some questions everyone could answer. I've recently realized that most people with nasal pain are from UK/Europe and not from USA. I wonder why? might it be some virus/bacteria? or is it just genetic predisposition? or just coincidence? It would be interesting to know if you guys who posted here are from UK or USA?

So, tomorrow I'll post a set of questions. I hope that could bring some insight for all of us!

Talk to you soon!

To ana: I've just replied to you on the main thread. I hope you get to read this soon. 

I've had the same sort of intermittent nose pain, right eye watering, etc., for several years. Been to every kind of doctor, including neurologist and endodontist, with no diagnosis, although the endodontist did prescribe lidocaine spray which gives only temporary - very temporary - relief. I have had root canals in all my upper front teeth and am beginning to think the problem could be dental. (The root canals, I believe, block out any toothache, even if there is extensive decay under the crowns.) Conseqently, I'm considering extractions as a last resort, but definitely do not recommend this for anyone else. The problem is that none of the doctors or dentists I have been to have ever witnessed this particular sort of pain in anyone else. Therefore, I am left with only self-diagnosis.

I have the same problem in the left nostril for almost 2 years. It's depressing and I feel hopeless at times. I'd like to contact you..