What do you do when racing, or just trying for a good hard run, when you realize you're breathing too hard. Do you slow your pace or how do you get it under control again?

By 'breathing too hard' do you mean running at a pace that you can't sustain for a long period?

Never really had that problem. Do you have any asthma type issues?

I guess...

I just concentrate on taking deeper breaths for a few seconds and see if that doesn't bring it back under control. I sound like I'm dying most of the time anyway, but could hold a conversation. For me, it's a concentration issue.

Concentrate on your breathing and see if that will carry you through a tough part. It that doesn't work, back your pace down just a little until you feel better.

check your arms.....sometimes just lowering them a bit....so that they are in a fuller swing pattern will get your breathing into a pattern also.

If you have this problem quite often.....you may need to actually teach yourself rhythmic breathing. I had to do this years back and I still will fall back to it once in awhile.

For instance you breathe out 1-2-3 steps slowly and the 4th step is one quick deep breath in. then 1-2-3 out and 1 in.

What Sue said. I exhale every 4th stride during normal runs. When I've really got the hammer down (i.e doing speedwork) it's every 3rd stride.

I just keep sucking air. I don't have an asthma problem but when I'm really pushing it, I get pretty loud.

Until you get some tunnel-vision or seeing white spots, it's okay

I sound like a freight train coming around the bend when I'm kicking the last part of a race....

my breathing pattern is a bit more symmetrical, but it works for me. I usually start by running with a in-2-3 out-2-3 pattern, then as the intensity increases I switch to in-2, out-2 pattern.

I take two or three extra deep breaths through my nose and that usually gets my breathing back in sync.