Hi all,
I have been trying (once or twice) to breathe through my nose while running. Within a breath or two, I immediately feel like I am genuinely suffocating! I try for a little bit, then I go back to the mouth open while running technique that I have taken such great pains to develop....

Question 1: If I keep trying, will I get used to breathing through my nose?

Question 2: What are the benefits of running while breathing in through the nose and out through the mouth?

Thanks, dying for an answer (or at least gasping!)
Kel

I breathe through my nose only if I'm running a very easy pace and breathing only slightly heavier than when at rest. Otherwise it's all through the mouth. The only advantage is that you don't swallow bugs.

LMAO - I hate when those GNATS fly into your mouth!

You ever snort a mosquito? Me, neither, but i'd imagine its not fun.

I'm not quite sure who it is out there advocating nose-breathing for running, but when I find the guy, I'm gonna knock him upside the head. I've seen this come up a few times in the forums over the years and the whole idea is simply a crock. A runner has to breath through their nose, mouth and suck in air through your ears if you can. There's no advantage to trying to breath through your nose. Really. All you'll do is frustrate yourself. Breathing while you run shouldn't even be a conscious thought, just let what comes natural happen. You'll be fine.

Thanks jrjo,
I appreciate the help.
No more nose breathing for me!
Kell

Im not saying im for breathing through my nose im just saying what i have been taught here. I have been told that breathing through your nose while practicing or training increases your lung capacity. It makes sense to me if you think about it because breathing through your nose is obviously harder to do and can simulate higher altitudes where the air is thinner also making it harded to breath. These are both used for training purposes because i do know people who breath through their nose and train at higher altitudes.

Hope that helped somebody but please correct me if im wrong lol

That's a good point tracy runner (one that I hadn't thought of...), so now here I am back to the same old quandary. If lung capacity can be increased then maybe I should try it. BUT, wouldn't regular running increase lung capacity? I've never seemd to have a prob with my lung capacity, I've only been waiting for my leggs to get in shape so I can run longer.
See what I mean, there is more to this nose thing then meets the eye (or I, lol).
Kell

I think I'd collapse through lack of oxygen if I tried to breathe solely through my nose! Personally, I think you should breathe whichever way feels right for you. Depriving yourself of air while running is an interesting theory, but I thought altitude training worked on a slightly different premise. Else swimming would equate to altitude training. I couldn't see your body adapting to breathing through your nose in the same way your blood cell count would adapt to altitude. Either way, I'd imagine breathing through your nose would restrict your pace anyway.. which would possibly defeat the point?? Coorect me if I'm wrong, too! L

Now that makes sense to me. Tracy had me thinking for a moment, but Track girl is on the money in that 'simulating' altitude has to create a difference in 'chemistry' so to speak, in that your blood-oxygen contents are altered. This isn't going to happen from forcing yourself to feel asthmatic with nose-breathing.
As far as I know, lung capacity increases come from periods of deeper breathing not forced/restricted breathing. VOmax workouts designed to increase your 'volume' are at faster than normal pace and promote 'deep breathing' versus a nose-breathing premise where you'd have to be running pretty slow to actually accomplish any kind of running where your mouth has to stay shut the whole time.
Tracy, out of curiousity, when you say "taught here", where is that? It would be interesting to see if there's some methodology online or references that the peeps spreading this as gospel are using to base their teaching. Thx!

I agree with jj here. I've swallowed more bugs than a frog. :| Some big b@stards too. 8O Of course their target isn't exactly small either. I sound like I'm having a baby (lamaze) while I'm running. :|

The only time I breath through my nose is when I feel I am loosing control of my breathing. I make my self calm down and focus with controlled breathing. It works for everything I do. I get stronger and more focused, it's kinda like my zen place. If I'm in the gym and have a hard lift, deep breaths throught the nose and focus, a big hill, deep breaths through the nose and focus, gotta eat a meal my mother in-law made, deep breaths through the nose and focus.

I'm a newer runner, and I don't put on more than 10miles/week typically, but I always try to breathe through my nose for the entire time. I'm not a tall guy so my little legs can't propel me too fast without seriously putting forth a ton of effort (and needing to breathe through my mouth). At this point, I'm at 5.8mph for a 5km, with four to six, 1-1.5 minute 'sprints' of 6-6.2mph. I find that if I breathe through my mouth during this run my heart rate goes through the roof (185 bpm) pretty early on and I'm much better able to go longer distances when I breathe through my nose (175 bpm at the end). It works very well for me, almost as a calming effect, though I'm not sure WHY it works. All seriousness aside: I think it makes me look kinda bad ass that I'm in SO amazing shape that I don't need to breathe through my mouth. Oh, then they look at my running pace... :)