i got choked on a piece of chicken...finally coughed it up. Two days later
throat still hurts and i can't eat or drink anything because it hurts.
Why does my throat hurt?

Hi there,

I believe that the pain you are still feeling inside your throat is the consequence of minor injury while you were chocking with the chicken.

In that moment you were probably panicking and trying to get out the food from your throat so you were coughing pretty heavily and probably damaged your throat. Try to drink a lot of tea, but be careful that it isn’t too hot and take a spoon of honey in the morning. If eating is still causing you severe pain try to make your food squashy.

If your throat doesn0t get back to normal in a few days than visit ear, nose and throat doctor since this could be a sign of some major issue.

I had the same thing happen when I was eating some steak. It caused me to start choking and a friend came to my aid. After the piece became dislodged I had a very heavy coughing bout. The next day my left side of my throat was sensitive and at times it's painful and hard to swallow.

The chiropractor says it's swollen tissue in the throat that is causing the pain.

I choked on a sandwich a few days ago. Went to  the emergency room two hours later. Two days later I went to a gastroenterologist. The Dr. Gave me nexium. The emergency doctor gave me something called Sulfate. The liquid is disgusting but better for you than the pill form.. It has been five days. First two were better than the last three. As the scratch in my esophagus heals. IT is uncomfortable I feel pulling and some pain. Some heat in the area too. Eating is difficult and I have been treating myself to ice cream shakes (shakes make the ice cream warmer and go down better.  )and pudding as those go down easier. Also tuna and chicken salad eaten slowly. I have been avoiding grains. Some foods are way to rich for me right now. Potatos, nuts, peanut butter and such.   The Doctor told me to see him again if I was still in pain in a week. He said I could feel tightens, pulling, discomfort especially when breathing and eating.  From the reading I have been doing, rest is best. Elevate the head when possible, don't have coffee, chocolate or smoke.

You posted this over a year ago i know that but i choked on rice potatoes and beans went to the emergency hospital i could breath i just could swallow its been 36 hours and i feel like i got a tini tiny bit better but it is very uncomfortable, in the last 36 hours i ate almost nothing because it hurts way too much and im wondering how many days did your throat take to get back to normal and did u take medications or suggestions on food or drinks? thanks

I was wondering how yours worked out since I hurt my throat too.

Is it the same if you have choked on medication? Last night while taking my medication, my 2 largest pills lodged sideways in my throat. I tried drinking but still couldn't get them down. The only way I could get it out was to push really hard on my throat.
When they finally came out, they were covered in blood. Now I have bloody little spots all over the back of my throat..,

I had a large pill (1000mg Lysine) lodged in my throat and couldn't get it down. I finally vomited and now have a sore throat. It was scary. I keep reading studies that I feel do not related to me, but I'd like to find an answer. I honestly believe it was my body'seems last resort to being able to breathe

Sorry about the misspellings.
My phone often thinks "auto correct" ismart the correct way.

Thank you.youve been a lot of help.

Many thanks to all who replied quite helpful. I chocked a couple of hours ago in nuts followed by severe coughing. It was extremely painful .What I did is gurgle with cold pressed extra virgin olive oil (the one you find on the medicine shelf in hypermarket ) but I guess any extra virgin olive will help. When you gurgle make sure not to spit it in a tissue and into the trash bin not your sink as it might block it. I gurgled twice so far and with every gurgle the pain becomes slightly less . I will also try the honey before going to bed and in the morning. Wishing you all a speedy recovery ,❤️

And one more thing pain killers with the olive oil gurgle

I choked on nuts last night, and it was one of the worse experiences I have ever had. I couldn't breathe and I couldn't stop choking. I thought I would feel better after throwing up, but it only got worse. I sat up for a while elevating my head because it hurt to swallow. It's better today, but still hurts. Thank you all for the comments; this has definitely helped me.