hi im 18 yrs old and i started having really weird throat problems a month ago. first it will feel like somthing is stuck in the back of my throat , then it will start to feel like its swollen, which will lead to me feeling like im not getting enough oxygen, then from there on i will start freaking out and fall into panic attacks. Ive went into the ER to see what was wrong because i was also getting pressure on my chest like someone was pushing on it. The doctor told me that i just strained my chest bone and i might be having acid reflux going on. But he also didnt do anything to make sure that was the problem, 2 weeks later and im having the same problem just without the chest pain, i feel like its getting harder to breathe but i dont know if its because im panicking or because i have acid reflux going on, now my nose feels like its getting stuffed and im getting headaches along my neck. please respond to this it will be greatly appreciated thank-you

also would this have anything to do with GERD?

I have had lots of experience with anxiety and panic attacks, and can definitely let you know that if you work on it, it gets back to normal. What you are describing - the chest tightness and such is something I went through for a while, but after learning more about panic attacks and anxiety and that you really have nothing to be affraid of they slowly went away. I did also see psychologist for a few sessions to gain an understanding of the condition. I would definitely recommend finding someone like this, they help so much - just be picky with the person. Schools often offer a free service of this kind, so look into it, mine did. Just work on it, get healthy, work out - even though these things may not seem to be a good way, they are some of the best ways of coping - your brain releases hormones that improve your state of mind immensly after working out. Talk to your family doctor or GP, forget about ER. Good luck!

I'd get tested for parasites: HP, candida and threadworm...

That's what was causing my shortness of breath. Doctors thought it was acid reflux... they were wrong!!!

Also pay attention to your stools. Any mucus? Or weird looking stuff? Are you going on a regular basis? etc.

I used to have breathing problems with panic attacks and did well using natural products such as vitamin B12. I found that a lot of it is controlling your thoughts and knowing the warning signs of a panic attack before it happens.

I used the PanicAway program to completely cure my panic attacks and it worked for me.

I tried it simply because I saw that he is a member of the National Mental Health Association and I got Free 1 on 1 Coaching with Joe. I can't promise that it will work for you, but it's worth a shot.

Hope this helps,
Brian

I used to get a closed throat/trouble swallowing while eating- thought it was allergy to MSG while eating Chinese food one day. Also tried eating slower and smaller bites. That helps only because you are conscious of slowing down which makes you relax to avoid the start of the attack.
During attacks if you get up and walk quickly, or sip small amounts of cold water from a water fountain the muscle seems to relax. Walking must help tell your brain to think about that and not your anxiety. Don't think its connected to acid or gurd because mine are under control and every so often the choking comes back. It is pure anxiety-can almost feel when it will come. I'm so curious as to why so many people have this. Our parents never did. What are we doing to ourselves?

Hey i also suffer from this problem! I tend to get it later at night it suks!
Forstly ill get a swollen feeling in the back of my throat near the tonsils area............then ill started feeling like im not getting enough air! I tend to walk off quickly or cant lay down as it feels a million times worse and i then feel like im going to choke! Ive been in and out of the e.r with this and eveytime they say its nothing *just anoxety attacks* yeah well it feels pretty *f ***ING REAL AT THE TIME!
Ok so it probasbly is anxiety but my throat does get sore and my right tonsil seems to swell slightl when im havinhg an attack! e mail me to share this problem would just be good too talk to someone about it who knows what im going through, like right now im up looking at this web site cos its 4.38am and yeah u guess it i cant sleep cos of my swollen throat feeling! _[removed]_

Hi, I know it has been awhile since you posted, but I was very interested in your posting. Can you tell me exactly which condition was causing your shortness of breath. I had a bad case of c diff a while back, got it taken care of, however still have some problems. Am taking florastor as my GI believes I have pockets in my intestines because of several surgeries. The pockets build up with bad germ fluid. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

BARB

BARB

I totally agree with all of you! It doesn't happen everyday though. I went to the doctor and they told me i have anxiety which i believe to be true, but whenever i have difficulty breathing it feels like my right tonsil is swollen too! It's really weird and i freak out!

8-|i have lived with all these for, 6 years now.my anxiety and fear of the outside world is very scarey to me.I am able to leave the house now and do things I need to do,but not happy about it.I get back home soon as possbile.home is saftey,secure.I am doing better and will fight this till one day I can be free and happy.

Hey Guys! So many of you wrote on here a while ago and so I don't know if you'll check this anyhow, but I'm experiencing the same throat and chest symptoms as you all are and I got the same response as some of you from my Dr. He said that it was acid reflux and probably anxiety. The strange thing is that I never have heart burn or taste any acid and I haven't been overly anxious about anything lately. This has never happened to me before and if I'm not stressed or anxious about anything, then why would anxiety cause it? Also, this throat/pressure on chest continues for a couple of days straight. I mean you can't say that's normal right? I saw a couple of replys about candidas, have any of you got tested for that? I brought it up with my Dr. today and he that's extremely controversial and he's almost 100% sure I don't have that. So are you still experiencing this or what have you done in order to get over it? Thanks for your help!

Hey, you need to go to the doctor and tell them to do a throat swab or ask if you might have a case of strep which has gone deeper from your throat to your chest. That is what I had, no cold symptoms, just swollen glands and sore irritated threat, a week and a half later I decided it was serious, because it hurt to breathe and I had irritation and more pain in my lower throat, chest area. I realized it must be strep, because my boyfriend had got it a lot more severely than me and his tonsils went white and his throat almost closed up completely, he also had fever and chills. He actually had to get a steroid injection in his throat to bring down the swelling so he could breathe properly. I did not have fever, or any visible symptoms in my throat or on my tonsils, but eventually the strep moved its way down to my chest and the doctor diagnosed me with strep. I got the antibiotics now and I should start feeling better within the next couple of days. Really, it sounds like strep to me. Very similar symptoms, very!!!I started having trouble breathing today and felt like it was heavy and hurt to breathe. Very similar to a panic attack, because when you notice you're having trouble breathing you panic, and that makes it worse, and it becomes a panic attack. GO to the DOCTOR and have him consider strep. However, my doctor said that because I waited so long to get a throat swab and it seems to have moved down into my chest at this point, the swab might not even come up as positive. So, based on my symptoms and my boyfriend's diagnosis, he skipped the throat swab and wrote me a prescription for the strep. I honestly, think that's what you have. Check it out, and good luck.. Hope you feel better. You really need to get treated, otherwise, the strep will infect you further, and your health will get worse... take care!

hi- my name is angela and i am 31- i started having symptoms like this about 10 years ago- doctors have told all of the above- i have a few ideas for all of you- try seeing a endocrinologist- it could be a hormone or thyroid disorder- have them check your cortisol levels- that is your hormone for stress. there are many tests they can do- or see and infectious disease doctor, lung specialist, heart specialist, or ear nose and throat- wherever your symptoms are see a specialist for that area. regular family practice doctors or e.r doctors may not recognize certain disorders. if all is clear then try biofeedback- it sounds silly but it can do wonders for stress and anxiety. i wish you all the best and if you would like you can call me and talk to me anytime- 763-568-6833

I was reading through these post trying to figure out if my swollen throat may possibly be self induced by anxiety.
I went to the doctors, he told me it was swollen, prolly an allergic reaction to something I ate or licked. This seemed to start and worsen everytime I seen my girlfriend and was intimate with her. I have no diaeses or illness but am currently being treated for depression and anxiety. I thought maybe her body spray/soap. She stopped that. Last night I had a dream that involved just talking with her. I woke up like I couldn't breathe, my throat was swollen on the inside...and I realized I was biting down hard on my teeth ...almost like grinding when I woke. It wasn't even a bad dream. Could this be related to the anxiety? It's really does swell...doctors prescibed simple benadryl. Can this be a symptom of anxiety or is this swelling in my throat and feeling like I cant breathe something more serious that perhaps the doctor isn't catching? Does anyone know?

I think youre allergic to your girlfriend