My father went to a hospital due to a pulmonary embolism. I would like to know what exactly causes this and is it fatal? Hewas given a medications and everything is ok now. However, I can not stop worrying.

Pulmonary embolism is a condition that occurs when a lung artery becomes blocked. The blockage is caused by one or more blood clots that travel to lungs from another part of the body. Most of these blood clots originate in the legs. However, they can also form in the arm veins, the right side of the heart or even at the tip of a catheter placed in a vein. Also, other substances like a globule of fat, tissue from a tumor or a clump of bacteria, may lodge in the arteries of the lungs. The good news is that a pulmonary embolism isn't fatal. However it is a leading cause of hospital deaths and an increasing threat to passengers on long airplane flights. Few simple measures can help in preventing pulmonary embolism. Treatment with anti-clotting medications can greatly reduce the risk of death when pulmonary embolism does occur.