I'm in week six of withdrawing from Clonazepam. I was prescribed 2Mg daily for over ten years by three different doctors for anxiety and sleep problems. Subsequently, I now have a new doctor that has been very helpful and informative about Clonazepam, the long term effects, withdrawal symptoms, and my schedule for withdrawal. The only thing I will say about the drug and to the previous doctors that prescribed it is that it was a very bad idea for me. I would not suggest it to anyone with the symptoms I had. My hope is that others do not fall into the same terrible trap that I did and then have to deal with the withdrawal. Researching Clonazepam withdrawal and reading postings similar to this helps me along the road to freedom from the addiction.  Having said all that to give you a brief background on my association with the drug, I would like to share a few  opinions of mine related to this post:

1. It seems to me that musicman is only attempting to help others and be a point of light for people fighting addiction to Clonazepam. I am following a different withdrawal schedule and diet, but I believe there are some good ideas presented in an effort to help others. Most importantly, it seems to have worked for him and I certainly give him a lot of credit for his successful fight for freedom from Clonazepam.

2.  In rebuttal to the musicman post, Guest states "Stop taking pills, deal with it, and give it time." along with several other derogatory comments. Based on my experience with Clonazepam, Guest has not taken the drug for any extended period of time or experienced any associated withdrawal symptoms. Additionally, the comments were worthless to me and seem more harmful than beneficial to anyone attempting to withdraw from long term Clonazepam use.

I'm done and will not do any follow up posts. My efforts  here is only to be honest and helpful to anyone in the midst of Clonazepam withdrawal.

Dear Musicman,

I do believe in nutritional support. I am from Europe and we were brought up with alternives than just the regular good old meds that the doctors put you on, like benzos :(

I havent found a good nutritional doc in the area I live in Georgia. Could you private message me the docors name so I could order his book?

Thanks a lot!!

All your posts give me a lot of hope and I appreciate your effort to help others!!

Thank you

Are you aloud to call me

Mel ... The best thing is to keep the post on Steady Health, as it might help others. However, I understand that some things might be sensitive, and so if you would like to send me an internal message, that would be OK. Just hover over my name, and you should get the option to send a message. Others have written to me, and I try to do the best I can to help. If you are struggling with Clonazepam and are trying to get off, do not lose hope. It's not easy, but it can be done.

p.s.  I will be going to sleep early tonight, as I must be in another town early tomorrow.  So, if I do not respond tonight, it does not mean that I am ignoring you.   Hang in there.

Hi, K8 here, trying to get off klonopin after taking for 15 years. i thought i tapered ok, but after 8 days without taking my ears were ringing so loud. my eye whites get real red, and swelling starts, nausea, diahreaha sp , anxiety, i was given xanax to help, took my 1st 1 last night but added klonopin back in. will try a longer taper. also get night sweats,chills this not easy

Great thread, honest, accurate and very helpful. It gave me all the information I was looking for. Thank you so much!!!

Thank you Guest. I hope it helps you. Hang in there.

K8 ... the deal here is to do your best to calm your nervous system with supplements that are natural and food the is nutritious and calming as well. Clonazepam (aka, Klonopin) is HIGHLY addictive. It would be improper of me to go against your MD's suggestion of taking xanax, but...it is another drug. You want to get off the drugs. This is going to be a long process. You will experience all kinds of withdrawal symptoms (see my posts). But, take it one day at a time and just keep at it. Your nervous systems has been given a jolt with the drug. It will take time and good nutrition to pull you off of it. Don't get discouraged...but, do take action. You can and will win.

Thank You, i am new to withdrawel. yes I wondered about the xanax. I will go back to read your older posts. why does your stomach hurt? i do take 1 omeprozole a day and it helps. i have had scopes on both ends..lol. im 55 yrs old. im gonna try this withdraw again when i have more info. i c my neurologist this month. i get botox injections along the side of my neck. hey thanks alot...K8

Guest, you asked "why does your stomach hurt". It doesn't hurt any more. The post I made is a very very long post, and for that I apologize. But, there was much to say. Everyone who has responded to my post has been positive, except for one pathetic miscreant who is so profoundly ignorant and emotionally twisted that I feel sorry for him/her. Frankly, that person sounded like a woman doctor that I've sparred with in the past. Consider that person's motives compared to mine. I am the one who has your best interests at heart. That other person did nothing for anyone, as indicated in my rebuttal and that of the "Another Guest" rebuttal.

What I tried to do in my long post is first and foremost to provide hope for people, i.e., you CAN come off of clonazepam (Klonopin), but it is a slow process.

What you must do is replace the clonazepam (Klonopin) with more natural nutrients and nutritional food, until you come off of it completely. Then, do your very best to simply eat good nutritional foods, perhaps with some nutritional support. For example, once you are completely off of this drug you might want to use a good multi-vitamin, if you cannot afford paying for all of the others. For a multi-vitamin, I recommend Natural Factors Men's MultiStart (Natural Factors Women's MultiStart). For those of us of a certain age, there are Natural Factors Men's 50+ Multistart (Natural Factors Women's PLUS MultiStart). These can be found in health food stores, but are VERY costly. Certain grocery stores will sell them but tend not to stock them on a regular basis. But, you can get them from a big online Internet site. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say the name, but it starts with an "A" and ends with an "n". :) That should be obvious. If not, send me a message via Steady Health.

If you drink soda and fast foods, they are filled with things that will negatively impact your nervous system. So, it is very important that you ween yourself off of anything that is not good, nutritional food. Try your best to stay away from processed foods when you go to the grocery store. When you shop at a grocery store, stick to the outer perimeter, as that quite often is where the better nutritional food is kept. Eat a LOT of good vegetables. This is critical. Broccoli is especially good.

So...guest...take your time. Try to read through my long post. SLOWLY come off of clonazepam and do so by proper eating and nutritional support. If you slip and head to one of those places with the "golden arches" and eat all the wrong food and drink soda, just know that it will set you back. When that happens, don't give up, but do get back on the right path.

I know you can do it. And remember, listen to your doctor, but know that having him/her put you on another drug is not the goal. The goal is to get you drug free. Unfortunately, many MDs simply are not trained in nutritional support of the body and cannot help you. This is why I always recommend that you find a nutritionist to help you and not only a nutritionist but a BOARD CERTIFIED nutritionist. That distinction is critical.

Hang in there!

Musicman my body wont let me take l cysteine or glutamate its like it is drawing the clonzepam out of me and I go into terrible pain for hrs I belive I still have anxiety and panic but I cannot take antidepressants. When I do my body goes crazy any suggestions please I have never been stable on it. Severe constant panic attacks. Help

Mel... I sincerely do understand your pain. This is an awful drug. I have to be careful about telling you what to do, for I do not know why you were put on it in the first place. This drug is used for many purposes. Anxiety and panic attacks are all too familiar to those of us who attempt to come off of this drug.

When you refer to cysteine are you referring to N-Acetyl Cysteine? When I mentioned it in my post above, what I was doing at that time was listing all of the nutritional supplements that I take. However, I was NOT saying that I was taking that for withdrawal from clonazepam, so I want to clarify that point. If that is what you thought, I apologize. It would be good to start from the very beginning of my post and read. I know that is hard to do when you are suffering.

My heartfelt hope for you is that you find a board certified nutritionist who can help you. Under his or her care, I really think you could pull through this. If you were in Florida (I am not), I could put you in touch with someone who is one of thee best nutritionist in the world. But, do take the time to seek out some professional help. I have gained much experience over the decades, but I believe a BOARD CERTIFIED nutritionist would help you the most.

When you say that you go into terrible pain, are you referring to the stomach pain so common with the withdrawal, or is it something else?

Have you attempted any of the other supplements such as GABA. I have a list in an email that I can send to you of where you can buy these items. If you are having stomach pain, I have made some recommendations in my post, and I have links to those.

I know this is tough for you. Whatever you do, please do not go "cold turkey" on this. This is probably going to be at least a six month process for you, where you slowly come off the drug. Go to a local drug store and get a pill cutter (usually less than $5), as you will eventually start cutting the clonzepam pills to smaller and smaller dosages. If you try to come off of clonazepam cold turkey, you are just asking for problems. This is IMPORTANT. Please be careful.

I really feel bad for you. We all do, I'm sure. So many of us have been through this. But, don't give up. Make SURE you are eating properly, and that means cutting out a lot of things that HURT YOUR NERVOUS SYSTEM. Critical nutrients such as GABA help, but if you are eating sugar or drinking soda, then you are defeating the affects. And, remember, as I stated earlier in postings, bread has sugar in it and it is very acidic and it will hurt your stomach. So...you want a diet that is calming to your nervous system, as the clonazepam has virtually taken over your nervous system.

If you send me a private message, I will cut and paste an email that I sent to another sufferer in Europe which will help you find some of the nutrients that will help you. BUT...I still very much would like to see you under the care of a nutritionist (again, board certified...if they are not board certified...run from them) to help you through this. In the morning or during the night, if you have pain in your stomach, drink a full glass of water immediately. Then, I would suggest Stomach Ease Tea from Yogi teas. Pure water does more for your body than you might imagine.

I could go on and on, but I've already made my long post above, and I believe it will help you. Hang in there and keep in touch.

p.s. Mel...remember when/if you take cysteine, you MUST drink A LOT of water, otherwise, you will for cysteine stones, similar in nature to kidney stones, and you will not like it. Always drink a lot of pure water...just urinate when it is time, or you could end up with water poisoning...and death.

MM, thanks for info im guest and K8, i guess i forgot my pw. How long did it take u to get off? I tried once a month ago, but it was much too fast. developing a plan. took hot shower. Drinking calming tea. need to find the licorice one. I had electric shocks that is y I am on klonopin. i want to get off. my ears ring loud,dont remember, anxious...etc. Thanks so much for your info. if I can figure out how to e mail u privately u can send me your list. Thanks again. K8 in Az