Benzonomore... There is actually a FIFTH main thing that we must keep in mind. I'm going to make a guess here, but I'm going to guess that many (most?) of us who got on clonazepam in the first place are probably people who lean more to the Type-A personality.

So, here is the last main point:

5 - Stop trying to do everything. The world does not need conquering, and the world will keep spinning long after we have passed on. It's OK to just sit and do nothing. This for some of us will not be easy, but with practice, it will become easier. Try your best to focus on the present moment, i.e., the "now". For in the end, that is really all we have. Fretting over the past or the future achieves nothing. I'm the type of person who in the past felt he had to do and be everything to everyone. That's just not the case. So, make your intention not to worry about getting things done. Those dirty dishes in the sink?...smile at them, and then go sit in your easy chair for a while and calm down. Once you have reached a relaxed state, then get up and take care of those dishes. I'm sure you get my point. Unless there is an emergency, slow down. Tasks just don't have to be done "yesterday". If people chastise you for trying to be more laid back and accuse you of being lazy...that's THEIR problem; not yours.

musicman, I just joined this site in order to talk to you personally, I have read your posts from the past years on how you got off klonopin, I still need  some advice,  My 81 year old mother is on klonopin, the doctor gave it to her to help her sleep, that was almost 2 years ago, my mom has become very depressed and suicidal, I know its from the klonopin and want her to get off it, I have talked to her about getting off it and she agrees with me and is ready to start this awful process. I guess I need reassurance that  I am doing the right thing by her, for convincing her to get off this drug. Is there anyway we can communicate together that is not so public? Like maybe emails? I dont really want my moms recovery to be so public...yet. Plus I NEED someone to talk to...please help me!

musicman, I just joined this site in order to talk to you personally, I have read your posts from the past years on how you got off klonopin, I still need some advice, My 81 year old mother is on klonopin, the doctor gave it to her to help her sleep, that was almost 2 years ago, my mom has become very depressed and suicidal, I know its from the klonopin and want her to get off it, I have talked to her about getting off it and she agrees with me and is ready to start this awful process. I guess I need reassurance that I am doing the right thing by her, for convincing her to get off this drug. Is there anyway we can communicate together that is not so public? Like maybe emails? I dont really want my moms recovery to be so public...yet. Plus I NEED someone to talk to...please help me!

amysuzan...

I understand your situation, and we will be able to do this offline. I'll get back to you. If you do not hear from me soon, then come back to this thread and see if I have given you further instructions.

amysuzan...

It appears that though your profile does not accept internal messages. I tried to send you a message to get the ball rolling on this, but perhaps you need to turn on messaging in some manner. At the top right-hand corner of the screen, you should see your "amysuzan" name and a drop-down arrow. After clicking on the arrow, you will (should) see Messages listed. Try clicking on that and see if you need to turn something on to receive messages and/or if you can send a message to me at musicman.

amysuzan...

As you can see from my other posts, try to do the best you can to figure out how to receive messages.

In the meantime...I REALLY want to convey this message above all others: In NO WAY have your mother come off of the Klonopin "cold turkey". At any age, this could throw a person into a seizure, but at 81, she would really be taking a risk. This is going to be a slow process. It MUST be a slow process.

If you can't get your profile to accept internal SteadyHealth messages, then we can try to carry on a conversation on this thread. Through the years, there has only been one miscreant, but that person was dealt with swiftly by myself and others. Most everyone who visits this thread is a person who understands what your mother (and you) will be going through, and we can empathize with you.

i need help i have taken colazepam for 10 years and have been off for 6 weeks-i am feeling like i'm not going to make it-cannot go back on , if i take iot again i will be homleless .

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

Guest....

My advice is to remove your post quickly. It is definitely not a good idea to put your phone number (albeit, not a correct one) nor your email on this post. I've got your email now and will get with you soon. In the meantime, try to delete your post if possible.

True why kid ourselves the withdrawal is a b***h. You will get all the fear, anxiety, and panic attacks which was the reason to take the 

drug to begin with. These symptoms of withdrawal will be experienced in high definition. 

It takes strong will and courage to get off these medications. I couldn't believe this but apparently the Doctor that invented the benzos

were originally used as dye for wood. I know this is beyond belief but true.

Leti...

I hear what you are saying, although the drug is prescribed for myriad things and not "just" the ones you indicated. For example, I was given clonazepam for another reason. But, you are definitely correct, it is very hard to come off of it.

However, what I keep emphasizing in my post is that, if a person takes the withdrawal plan very slowly and replaces (IMPORTANT) the clonazepam with healthy eating, healthy exercise and lifestyle, and proper supplementation (see my earlier posts)...if all this is done, a person CAN come off of clonazepam.

After I tried to come off of the drug unsuccessfully the first time, I know that just trying to tough it out will not work. Changes must be made. And...never never never come off the drug cold turkey. THAT could cause some very severe problems...including seizures. As you know, Leti, this is not a drug to take lightly.

So...anyone who continues to read this, what is now a long post after all this time, I want to encourage you. Don't give up! But, do take action. Hopefully the advice in this post (especially at the beginning) will help.

How r u doing? I am down to 1/2,1/4,1/2 1/4 etc. had a bad day today. its my 10th day in stepdown and it usually gets me. Musicman u still around?

Indeed I am still around, K88. Hey...I think you are doing great. I want to keep encouraging you and reminding you that it is OK if you have to plateau for a bit. In other words, this is not a race. In fact, it is better if you take it slow. Sometimes you want to cut back further on a particular month, but sometimes it is better to keep doing what you are doing for a month or two, and then cut back some more. When it gets exciting is when you can take 1/4 of a pill every, let's say, 4th day. Then, you know you are getting near the end of this nightmare.

You can do it!

PLEASE, however, remember also what I have said about replacing the pill by 1) eating properly, 2) proper supplementation (see previous posts), and getting out in nature, e.g., walk at least a little each day and try to do it in the daylight, which is also good for you (vitamin D from the sun's interaction with the cholesterol when the sun hits your skin).

Keep at it, and don't give up. Keep us posted!

Hi musicman Long story short I have been on klonopin for a long time but never took a lot of it I would only take .25 mg 5 nights a week. I was never a heavy user of it but still considered myself dependent on it for sleep. Recently I hurt my lower back and was put on neurontin 800 mg 1x a day. After deciding I no longer wanted to take it, I started to get all the same w/d effects disoriented, light sensitivity, anxiety, sweats, memory disturbances, etc I have recently started to take theonine and lemon balm which seem to help. I also supplement amino acids as well as eat a high fruit/vegetable diet. Drink a lot of water and consider myself healthy. I asked my doctor about this and he told me to stop the neurontin and so not go back on it. It's w/d are the same as klonopin I have been having insomnia and have only taken my klonopin 1x on Wednesday night(.25 mg) what would be a proper way to come off klonopin at this time? (looking for dosage frequency) I also would like to know if I implemented Gaba into my diet as well as the theonine and lemon balm, would glutamic acid help as well? I never had any of these problems until I stopped taking the neurontin. It seems like as I become more anxious, the w/d get worse. Any of these Gaba receptor dependent drugs are terrible. I'm worried that I'll never fully regain myself and lose hope. I would like to talk to you in private and would like to get your opinions as well as solid advice. Your posts brought positivity and I appreciate the time you put into them. It's been 1 week since spic the neurontin and it slowly gets better but have my setbacks. I need some help and positive reinforcement. I will never take anymore of these cns depressing drugs ever again. Please reply and let me know how we can discuss this.

Timeheals ... I apologize for my delay in responding. The Steady Health email came in very late on Friday and Saturday was quite busy.

I cannot address the neurontin, as I have no experience there, but I will address the Klonopin (aka clonazepam). First, I want to congratulate you on what you are doing. Having a diet rich in fruits and vegetables (especially vegetables) is excellent, so keep it up! Those green vegetables are critical to you.

You seem to be a person who is willing to take proper supplementation, and I want to encourage you to continue. I like the idea of taking Gaba, and I tend to take Pharma GABA by Natural Factors (not sure if Steady Health will allow me to say that). It is formulated by one of the leading world's authorities on natural medicine, Dr. Michael Murray. What I would like to see you do is see a BOARD CERTIFIED nutritionist. It is important to have a person like this in your corner, so to speak. And, I cannot emphasize enough the importance of a board certified nutritionist. A board certified nutritionist has gone through the rigors of testing. You can discuss glutamic acid with the nutritionist.

As for your insomnia, try the following about 1/2 hour (no longer) before bed-time: 2 tablets of Somnapure (this is a relatively new natural product created by MIT and can be purchased online or in certain stores, which I probably cannot name), one sublingual tablet (25 mg) of pregnenolone, one capsule (100 mg) of magnesium aspartate, and two tablets of the previously mentioned Pharma GABA. Take the Somnapure, magnesium aspartate by water, next chew the Pharma GABA, and lastly let the pregnenolone dissolve under your tongue.

In regards to dosage frequency when coming off of Klonopin, you mentioned that you only took it one time on Wednesday. You also said that you used to take it five nights a week. Are you saying that you just stopped taking it and then only took it on Wednesday? If you are going cold turkey, this is a bad idea. Here's what might be a better idea for you.

Let's assume that you have been taking the drug five nights a week. So, starting with September, as we are moving into a new month, let's pull you off of it on a more gradual basis. Here's what you want to do.

Since you are already at 25 mg, which is not that much, let's keep you there. But, instead of taking it five nights a week, take it in the following manner:

IMPORTANT NOTE: When you go to a new month and take the number of pills as suggested below AND you start experiencing withdrawal symptoms, then do NOT follow the schedule for that month. Instead, stay on the schedule of the previous month for another month and then proceed to the next month.

SEPTEMBER: Take one pill (I'm assuming 25 mg) every other day. So, for example, in the first week of September, you would take it 9/1, 9/3, 9/5, and 9/7. You would continue in this manner through the month.

OCTOBER: Take one pill every TWO days. For example, let's say you took a pill on a Tuesday, you would skip Wednesday and Thursday, and take the next pill on a Friday.

NOVEMBER: Take one pill every THREE days. Let's assume that you take a pill on a Friday. You would skip Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, and take the next pill on Tuesday.

See how we are SLOWLY reducing the intake of the pill?

DECEMBER: Take one pill every FOUR days. Let's assume that you take a pill on a Sunday. You would skip Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, and take the next pill on Friday.

So, in December, you will have taken seven pills.

JANUARY: Take one pill per week, STARTING FIVE days AFTER your last pill in December. You should have taken four but no more than five pills the entire month.

FEBRUARY: Stop taking the drug.

Hopefully by this point you will be free of the drug.

I want to just reiterate the importance of eating healthy. Also, REMEMBER that caffeine has a life of about EIGHT hours in the body. So, if you plan on going to bed at, let's say 10:00 PM, then the last time you should have any caffeine is 2:00 PM. My suggestion, however, is that you do not have any caffeine past noon or, better yet, no caffeine at all. If you have caffeine, just remember that EIGHT HOURS rule. If you break it, you will have trouble going to sleep.

Do your best to get some walking in out of doors. HOWEVER, it is important that you do not walk too close to bedtime, as the walk will make your more awake and you will have problems sleeping. My suggestion is to END your walk three hours before bedtime. If you go to bed at 10:00 PM, END your walk by 7:00 PM at the latest.

Lastly, you can help your insomnia by tricking your body. The body cools down when asleep. What you can do is take a HOT (not warm) shower TWO HOURS before bedtime. As your body cools down from the shower, it will think that it is time to fall asleep. Do not take the hot shower later than two hours, i.e., don't take it three hours before bedtime. And, I would suggest that you don't want to take it too much after two hours either. Don't, for example, take it one hour before bedtime. Do not use heavy blankets, especially in summer, as this will make you warm. To fall asleep, you want to be cooler. If you have to, just use your sheets...or not covers at all.

One final note. Melatonin is within the formula of Somnapure. One of the tricks of using melatonin is to turn the lights out after you have taken the melatonin but before you actually go to bed. Let's assume that you will be going to bed at 10:00 PM. So, you take the above nutrients at 9:30 PM. After you take them, sit in a chair with the lights out and relax. The melatonin (which is also naturally produced in the body but to a lessor extent as we grow older) will say "oh, it is getting dark out, and so I need to start affecting the body so it goes to sleep".

Timeheals, I hope this all helps. Take it slow. You are changing how you live your life. It is not a quick fix but, rather, a slow, steady process. You can do it!!! Keep us all posted on how it goes.

Thank you very much for that awesome post. Before reading this I was trying to go cold turkey. I just find it too difficult and I also messed up my doses. I was taking 125 mg(.125) so should I just stay on that dose instead? It was a small dose to help sleep. I will try the same protocol that you mentioned in hopes that will help. What effects did gaba have on you? I think I had tried it years ago and didn't seem to like it but I may be confusing it with something else. Thanks for your reply and your help. That taper schedule is good. Did you follow the same one? Thanks again