i am an alcoholic who has been sober for just over 5 years, about 1 year into my sobriety i hurt my back and was given cocodomal by the doc, after a while i was taking enormous amounts of these things. i realised quite soon that i was again addicted to something but carried on anyway. i had tried several times to stop taking the things but the withdrawl was horrible.
the first four days are a living nightmare, the runs, aching bones, headaches, sweats, no sleep, muscle spasm, there are afew more things i could mention but anyone who has been through this knows it already. this time im 10 days in and things are starting to feel normal again, my body still feels abit achey, but i can handle that. to anyone who reads this dont let the drug win, and i cant believe that a drug that can cause such bad addiction can be oopenly sold on the market, something must change in the law i think.
when i  first stopped drinking the mental side was more or less the same as this, still an addiction'right'.i just keep telling myself tomorrow will be better thah today, and every day has been.

Yes you are completely right, something has to change with the law. I'm am just 20 years old and I have been addicted to coedine sine I was about 15.
My dentist told me about it when I first got braces to help with the pain.. I curse him for it now.. Since then I developed a really bad addiction taking from 2 to 20 pills a day.. I developed painkiller overuse headaches. In the end the pills didn't help with the headaches they were just feeding my addiction. I never really taught I was an addict until my first year of university when I found myself Dissolving 2 painkillers in a glass of water during one of my lectures, it was then I realised I had to stop.. This stopping and starting business went on for quite some time, there was always something in the way, an essay, an exam, a friends birthday "I'll start tomorrow" and tomorrow never came.. One night I was in watching a movie and had somehow forgot to take my usual 2 neurofen tablets, I realised I didn't really have a headache but I took them anyway 'just in case'. The next morning my usual 2 Solpahdine tablets were missing from my bed side table- my sister had took them. I knew I couldn't have another argument over painkillers so I said nothing and that was it I STOPPED.
The first week of withdrawls was horrible, like the post above- stomach cramps, sweats, insomnia, aching arms and legs and of course for me the worst migrane I've ever had.. I did the first week completely cold turkey, and I have to say by day seven I felt relatively ok. However the migrane was as bad as ever. My doctor said it would be ok to take some paracetamol or Ibrufeon to help with the pain so I did but in very small doses as they can be harmful to the liver and kidneys, and I only took them when I was in agony.
Its been one month and 2 days :-) since I last took a painkiller, So IT CAN BE DONE
Its safe to say that I feel ten times better now than I did while I was using.. Its still early days and the least bit of stress could bring on a migrane and the cravings come back, I'm also afraid to have a drink incase I get a bad hangover and will need pain relief for it..But slowly and surely I'm getting there. So to anybody who feels like they can't do it, you can I did. It won't be easy but it will give you your life back. Even though we buy our drugs over the counter instead of an ally doesn't make us any less of Junkies. An addiction is an addiction no matter what. So please help yourself and encourage others by Stopping.
Hope my story can help someone, anyway I'm just proud of myself and wanted to share it, stupid I know :-)