Hi, I am 34 years old. I have been addicted to codeine since 2000. I have dropped codiene once before about the summer of 2004, I was clean for two weeks without withdrawl symptoms. I just quit cold turkey, I figured that I didn't need the drug for anything, anymore. I was tired of going to my doctor and gettting prescription after prescription, almost every two months. Then the 2 months turned into one month, then weeks. I was also getting demerol shots for the pain associated with withdrawls. As we know, demerol is a higher more potent form of opiod than codeine. So, I quit, I also work in the medical profession, so access to the drug was easy. I knew that I had a serious problem and I was afraid to tell anyone. I would go to different pharmacies to get OTC codeine. So, I quit and thought that was the end of it. Then I had a surgery to my ovaries. I had two ovarian type cycsts that grew off of my fallopian tubes, and they were slowly attaching to my liver I was in severe pain. By all accounts I should have died from the tumors, but I survived. The biggest mistake I made that fall, a year after I quit, was to accept a prescription from my surgeon. I immediately fell back into my old routine of addiction. It wasn't until lately that I visited a doctor other than my own GP. He told me that I was consuming more than 300 pills in less than a month. I said that the numbers were incorrect. Whe we tallied all of the prescriptions and the OTC's to my suprise, the number was over 300, closer to the 500 range in less than a month. I have a bad, horrible addiction. I have stolen pills from others, contemplated and manipulated to get more. All because that the "pain" and "headaches" were IN my head. I went through a complete physical two weeks ago, and I am healthy, my liver, to my great shock, is fine, and my kidneys. I have made a promise to myself, that I am going to kick this addiction once and for all. I have a good doctor that stands not behind me, but beside me in this battle. I have a loving boyfriend who has gone through the same problem, so he is very supportive. I have a strong and loving mother, and my father, who sadly passed away in 2006, is my guardian angel. I am determined that I want to live to see the next day. I don't care about two weeks down the road, even next year. I want to live just to see tomorrow, and when tomorrow comes the tomorrow after that. I understand what every person addicted to any drug has or is going through. Yes, the withdrawls symptoms are the worst to take, but you will not die from them. You get stronger. I have been clean for two days, and through the grace of God I am going to make it three days, then four...I am with you in your battle, for it is a horrible fight, but WE WILL COME OUT VICTORIUS!! Amen...

Welcome to the website. Thank you for sharing your personal experience with us. You are an inspiration to many.