i was put on suboxone 16 mg. daily by a certified addictionist for Barbiturate addiction. i have never taken an opiate in my life. he apparently thought sub. would manage my chronic headaches and i would not resort back to the fioricet however it did nothing for the pain and now i am addicted to it. i am down to 2 mg. daily but cant handle the withdrawals. i am almost tempted to take fioricet for a week to get off the sub. - i can handle that withdrawal much easier than sub. besides - i dont have several months to withdraw - i have children and a life! HELP

Suboxone withdrawal sounds a lot like methadone withdrawal. You don't sleep at all, don't eat, spasms, chills, coughing sneezing Plus all the other symptoms of narcotic withdrawal. And it does a real number on your head, the mood swings are terrible. The difference is, methadone withdrawal lasts 3-6 months. This was in the mid 70's when methadone was not supplied in prison. Now I am back on meth and have been for 30 years, I just can't find anything to wean off of it that wouldn't be too uncomfortable.

suck it up i did and i can tell you it was worth it

Suboxone treatment isn't meant to be a long term treatment, unless you're one to keep relapsing. Suboxone is addictive as well. You should use it to get off your hardcore addiction and then move off it as soon as you feel like you can. No longer. Just try from time to time, you'll know if you're ready to quit it all together.

Good Luck,
Painfuldude.

Sorry no, this is absolutely NOT true. Don't be telling people that there is no withdrawal from Suboxone, that is a FLAT OUT LIE.

You may of been lucky enough to not notice the symptoms; Suboxone can have less painful sympoms than most opiate withdrawals.

There ARE withdrawals from Suboxone, and you seem to be uneducated and trolling about it. Calling people weak or babies is also very sad if you were an addict as well. You should know that people aren't perfect, yourself included.

I HAVE TO DISAGREE W/ THIS PERSON. I WAS ADDICTED FOR 4 YEARS TO PERCOCET THEN EVENTUALLY OXYCONTIN. I FELT THAT IF I COULDNT GET OFF THIS MED, I WOULD JUST EVENTUALLY DIE. THEN I FOUND A CLINIC THAT RX'D SUBOXONE. IT REALLY TRULY SAVED MY LIFE. IT TOOK ABOUT 5 DAYS OF W/DRAWAL FROM THE OXYS FOR ME TO GET USED TO THE SUBOXONE, BUT AFTER THAT I FELT LIKE NORMAL--NO W/DRAWL AND NO CRAVINGS. I STAYED ON SUBOXONE FOR 2 YEARS AND WAS TOLD BY MY CLINICIAN THAT I CAN STAY ON IT FOREVER IF I WISHED. I WANTED TO TRY TO WEAN DOWN SO I WENT FROM 8MG/PER DAY TO 2MG/PER DAY. AFTER BEING ON 2 MG PER DAY I TRIED IT EVERY OTHER DAY AS DIRECTED. I STILL FELT HORRIBLE (BUT NOT AS BAD AS COMING OFF OPIATES) AND MY CLINICIAN EXPLAINED THAT I WOULD FEEL W/DRAWAL SYMPTOMS. SUBOXONE DOES HAVE OPIATE PROPERTIES IN IT. PEOPLE SHOULD BE AWARE--IF YOU WANT TO GET OFF IT YOU NEED TO WEAN SLOWLY----TO FEEL THE LEAST AMOUNT OF SYMPTOMATOLOGY. (A GOOD 16 WEEK WEAN OFF) SYMPTOMS MAY LAST 8-10 DAYS. THIS IS THE TRUTH TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR!!!![/enc]

I will definitely say that there are withdrawal symptoms when coming off of suboxone. My boyfriend is experiencing them right now. He's finally down to 4mg a day, and I think when we started dating a year ago was taking 4 times that much.

On another note, I'm asking for a little bit of encouragement, I suppose. I feel absolutely selfish and awful...and a little weird for posting here, but I'm getting desperate. My boyfriend has had absolutely no sex drive for months. He masked it well when we first started dating, as I'm sure he didn't know where the relationship would go so he never told me he was on suboxone. We had sex a lot the first couple months and it was really amazing. I didn't care when I found out he was on it, and he was trying to get off of it. I was (and still am) all about supporting him though it all, but it's getting to be really tough on me. I've never been addicted to drugs or alcohol, and it's hard for me to understand. I read these threads to just see what others say about it, and to better understand what he's going through. It's just really hard for me to only have sex once every couple of months when we started out at a few times a week. I don't want to pressure him, and though we talk openly about it I still get frustrated. I feel like such a b***h because I know he's going through a lot. But I also have needs. It's not something I'd consider leaving him over at all, I guess I just need a little encouragement. I feel like he's never going to come off this sh*t, and if he does, will he ever have a sex drive again??? I keep reminding myself that it's not me, and not to be insecure about it. I want so badly to b supportive, but I fail miserably sometimes when my selfish desires kick in. This post is all over the place, but any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated! And best of luck to all of you coming off opiods...it can happen with perseverance!

Yes he will have sex drive again, Suboxone suppresses desire and many things at all. Try to get on him in bed when he reduces next time, even the very first day of reduction, he'll say no power, but do your thing he'll love it, even force him to sex if he's not reducing, he'll still love it. Every reduction brings you closer to normal desires.
He needs to stop it very slowly and get off from it 0.4mg or even better 0.2mg, 3-4 days withdrawals and that's it.
We had the same problem, well still having, but today my withdrawals finished, I still can't believe my self I'm off, it took me almost 4 really bad days of withdrawals to come off from 0.4mg, I'm very weak, sleepy but I can see things are looking up for us.
One more thing, you must be sure, that he cares for you as you do!!!
Good luck...

i agree i been doin subox 4 bout a year. it wasn't perscribed 2 me by a doc but i was doing so much opiate based pills it wasn't funny. i never did withdraw cause i was high almost every day but i decided 2 get off them because im an athlete and been my whole life i decided 2 quit the prescription pills cause they were costing 2 much and i was getting weak and losing muscle so i started doin sub i quit the subs recently and am having horrible withdraws but i herd opiate w/d are a lot worse. so lucky me uh? i do agree u w/d on subs

Advice for the girl whos boyfriend is taking suboxone. About a wekk or two after he's off clear your calander becasue hes sex drive will come back with a vengence!!!!!! For now just be supportive and try to get him in the mood in the morning. Before he takes jis meds. I was on methadone last year and after I weraned down and went off I went through the worst withdraw anyone can experiance. I couldn't eat sleep pr feed myslef or wipe my own ass. I was shaking terrible for weeks. It wasn't mental at all. Never once did I have the craving for opiates. I even had several methadone tablets left and I never took them. I was clean for 6 months and feel off the wagon again. I started the suboxone detox program at a local rehab outpatient center. There is a difference in the two. I am a lot more clearheaded on suboxone and it really doesn't get you high. I can see if you never missed with opiates and took 10 mg of methadone it would problelby rock your world. But either though Suboxone is a semi-synthytic opiate the chance for abuse and addiction are still there. My sister is a doctor and she told me to research indvidual experainces since doctors have never taken it. Patients are rarley truthful with them. And finally they are doctors. In a sick way they are paid to get you on medication. When you are buying herion off the street no one inside the legal drug buisness is making any of that money. So the government figured why not make money off these addicts instead of putting them in jail? So they dusted off an old powerful opiate called methadone. Charge 17 bucks a dose a day!!!! The two clinics around here both have a wating list. If you drive by the in the morning there is a line a couple hundred feet long! My bottom line is methadone is horrible. There is no follow up treatment all they are doing is getting you off illegal drugs and onto one that is legal and more dangerous. My experiance with the suboxone rehab has been outstanding. My therapist is a recovering drug addict with the same story as mine. My nurse is a recovering coke and alcohol addict. My docotr specialisez in addictional behavior. All this put together means I all have to do is have the disire to quite. I couldn't keep up sobriety on my own. I could quite for weeks or months at a time. But now I have a group of people who know my situation and can help me tak it allthe way and stay there. Another thing no one brings up on these boards. GO TO AA OR NA MEETINGS!!!!! this is crucial to your recovery. I didn't like them at first i just made myself go. After a while I started sharing in group seccions and made a lot of new soober friends. Your going to here a lot of people tell the same story you have. Same type of childhood, experiances why the sarted using different drugs and why one certain drug really messes them up. Mine was opiates.
And don't think AA is just for alcoholics. Some people in there never touched a drink in there life. They are addicts with something else. Remeber it is a disease and should be treated like one. There is no majik cure. But if you have a disire to help there are places and people who can lead you down the write path. But only you can keep yourself clean. Good luck to all of you, your not alone. Millions of people are abusing opiates in one way or the other. if you need help with any other questions
and I'm not saying I am a pro, but my Sister is a Doctor and my Mom is a nurse. I also have been through this more than once and have friends make it though or fail. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

THIS IS GUNNA BE A LONG POST BUT IT THE BEST POST OUT THERE FROM ALL MY READINGS IF YOUR GUNNA READ THE FORUM READ THIS ITL SAVE U A LOT OF TIME!!!!! First off let me tell you my run with suboxone to help everyone get a better idea. Im 21 years old and i never toyed around with percs or vics or any other painkiller out there. The only pill i used to abuse on the regular was amphetamine salts (ADDERALL). When i took one of them i felt like super man, best mood of my life, worked out for 2 1/2 hours and would then run for 1 1/2, BASICALLY I GOT SH*T DONE AND THEN SOME! Then i started workin for a hardscaping company (Brick work, patios, fences, and some electrical or plumbing work every once in a while. Ive known my boss since i was about 12, hes 33 now. He always used to be a big drinker/ partier til he started f*cking with oxys. Long story short, he got on suboxone, still will take any thing he gets his hands on instead of the subs tho. Any way i felt like total sh*t one day so he went over to his truck and broke off a lil peice smaller than a grain of rice. I put it under my tongue and in about 45 mins later i was flying higher than ever. That was in May of 08. Ive been on a run with this since then. And today Marks day 7 of not putting that wonder pill under my tongue n swishin the juices around for about 10 mins to get the most of it! SO YEA, HELL YEA YOU CAN GET ADDICTED TO SUBOXONE! I went on a vacation for a week down the shore and didn't think to bring any with me, by day 4 all my friends were down drinking at the beach while i was stuck in bed only gettin up to have the sh*ts every 15 minutes. didn't know what it was til i went down the shore labor day weekend and didn't bring any again then i realized wat it was, WITHDRAWAL. SH*T! HOW COULD I BE SO F*CKING STUPID TO GET HOOKED ON THESE? I WAS ALWAYS SMART AS HELL AND HAVE ALOT GOING FOR ME, THIS SH*TS FOR CRACK HEADS, WTF? That's what i kept sayin to myself, tried goin to sleep at 1130 at night w/the girls thinkin she could help me fall asleep if u know wat i mean, half hour after nah, still tossin n turnin so i joined my boys out on the porch and drank myself to sleep. That worked! but i felt like sh*t the next morning just b/c of W/D tho. Another scenario with suboxone is i had a friend hooked on heroin, she used for 3 years, then wanted off so she started suboxone, the first week was hell on earth for her, hallucinating, fever, sweats, sh*ts runny nose, insomnia, even felt like bugs were crawling all over her. shes still hooked on subs but its better than heroin. U guys gotta keep in mind that gettin clean aint no picnic mentally or physically. The longer you on Sumthing the longer its gunna take the subs to get you off so be patient and by all means WEAN YOURSELF DOWN LITTLE BY LITTLE like take 8 mgs then the next week take 3/4 (6mgs) the next week 4mgs or maybe in 2 week intervals everyone is different as well as tolerance levels and how used to the drug your brain is. In my last week of suboxone (new years reso to quit) i tapered down to .5 of a mg using a razor blade to cut the peice off. I've done my research on suboxone which is alot, i know wat im talking about. All in all, if you're taking it like i was (which by the way was a blast never mind lasting 3 hours in the sack average every time while i was on it, big plus!!!) It's the DEVIL! hell draw u in for more n more till u have to take it just to feel normal and be able to function. If your taking it to get off of heroin oxys percs or watever else its your savior! Just DO NOT abuse it and wean down from it wen your ready. If your not ready mentally to quit and u go say 3 days without it then go score ur D.O.C. whether it be heroin or percs its gunna feel that much better because your brain will open up more endorphin (naturally produced opiates) receptors for your drug to go fill up and youl feel that much better. Thats RELAPSING! SO SUCK IT UP, WEAN URSELF DOWN AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE AND BE STRONG. IM ON DAY 7 RIGHT NOW AND ILL TELL YA WAT HELPED ME THRU THE FIRST 5 NIGHTS, ALCOHOL AND LOTS OF IT (TO CALM YOUR NERVES) MUSCLE RELAXERS DURING THE DAY, AND A HANDFULL OF XANAX FOR WHEN YOU CANT SLEEP AT NIGHT. you might think you can't do it at first but depending how far down the road you are effects your expeirience. WITHDRAWAL IS WAT YOU MAKE OF IT! IF YOUR GUNNA SET YOURSELF UP ON THE COUCH FOR A WEEK ITS GUNNA SUCK! STAY ACTIVE AND MAKE IT THRU UR DAILY ROUTINE YOUL BE ALOT BETTER OFF THAT WAY. LOTS OF BEER TO IT HELPS ALOT JUST DONT BECOME AN ALCY! THE FIRST 3-5 DAYS/NIGHTS R GUNNA SUCK BUT STAY STRONG AND GET UL GET THRU IT! BY THE WAY WEN ITS ALL OVER UL FEEL BETTER THAN BEFORE U STARTED TAKING OR USING ANYTHING DUE TO YOUR BRAIN OPENING UP MORE ENDORPHIN RECEPTORS WEN YOU WENT THRU W/D! THERES A PLUS! EAT CHOCOLATE, GRAPES, BE OUT IN THE SUN AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE(WEIRD I KNOW BUT TRUE) AND TAKE VITAMINS, THESE ALL HELP PRODUCE ENDORPHINS! I HOPE THIS LONG POST WILL HELP ALL OF YOU GOOD LUCK! STAY STRONG, YOU ARE STRONGER THAN A MAN MADE DRUG, THERES ALOT OF THINGS U DONT THINK UR CAPABLE TIL U TRY! TRUST ME.

I would have to say that I am very angry at the person that said you don't have withdrawals. Im sure there are people out there that don[t have them but for most we go through it. I stopped taking suboxone cold turkey cause to me I felt the same way I did as I was using methadone. I felt good at first, but I did get high off them and then felt I needed to take more of it. So I decided to give it up. I am almost going on a month now and still feel icky. I don't feel weak, I just know I am dehydrated badly. The first week was hell. I didn't eat at all, I drank detox tea and Gatorade and I take a vitamin every day. I know I felt like c**p but a lot was mental too. If Im out of the house I feel okay, but back at home I cant find motivation to do anything. I always eat breakfast mow, as I didn't before, cause that helps and I shower first thing in the morning. Suboxone withdrawals are a lot less mild than opiates, but the duration is much longer because of it's half life. Suboxone works for some people and others not. so i think it's c**p to say that anyone who said it doesn't work for them is lying. This is something I knew before i went on it, that it might work or it might not. For me, I still lied and stole my husbands meds while I was on it so it didn't work that great for me. And to me it's just substituting one drug for another, if you are gonna come clean come on and just do it. It's gonna be hard and it should be that way so that you don't pick up the damn drugs again. I came on these boards all the time when I first withdrawaled hoping to find info to help me feel better and i think it's sh*t some things that get posted. Im on day 28 and I still have diarrhea like crazy, insomnia, chills and sweating, and I was on 12 mg a day. But each day has gotten better, and I know I will return to feeling normal again. So I hope I helped someone out and YES you can have withdrawals!!

TRYING TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT. I WAS ADDICTED TO OPIATES SINCE THE AGE OF 15. I AM NOW 24. AND FINALLY MADE IT A YEAR ABUSING NOTHING AND TAKING MY SUBOXONE AS PRESCRIBED. WELL THEN A LOT OF DEPRESSION AND STUFF GOT WORSE. BUT I HAVE SUFFERED FROM DEPRESSION SINCE A CHILD. THE DOCTOR SEEMED TO THINK THAT I HAVE ADD AND PRESCRIBED ME ADDERAL. OF COURSE I DIDN'T ARGUE! I HAD NEVER TAKEN IT BUT HAD HEARD HOW GOOD IT WAS. WELL HERE I AM, BACK IN THAT MISERABLE CYCLE. THE THING IS IM SUPPOSE TO TAKE 10 MG 2XDAY.THE PAST MONTH OR TWO I HAVE TAKEN ANYWHERE FROM 30MG UP TO 80MG DAILY. I KNOW THAT I PROBABLY DON'T NEED THAT MUCH BUT IT DOES HELP ME WITH CONCENTRATION, IRRITABILITY,[MOST OF ALL MY DEPRESSION). IT EVEN SEEMS AS IF IM NOT NEEDING AS MUCH SUBOXONE AS BEFORE. I DONT WANT TO GO BACK DOWN THAT ROAD THAT I HAVE FINALLY GOT OFF OF. [SO PLEASE IF ANYONE HAS EXPERIENCED ANYTHING SIMILAR PLEASE GIVE ME SOME GUIDANCE, STRENGTH AND HOPE. fixine to try and get some sleep. thanks in advance for anyone who responds

Wow I cannot believe the amount of ignorance in this post. First and foremost, suboxone and subutex ARE narcotic drugs approved by the FDA under DATA (Drug Abuse Treatment Act) for the treatment of opiate dependence. That is cited here: http://www.fda.gov/CDER/DRUG/infopage/subutex_suboxone/subutex-qa.htm
To say there aren't withdrawal symptoms from suboxone or subutex would be exactly the same as saying there aren't withdrawal symptoms from narcotics.
The symptoms of withdrawal from suboxone are:
cold flu-like symptoms, headaches, sweating, sleeping difficulties, nausea, mood swings, leg restlessness, diarrhea
Also cited at the same link above.

I am currently experiencing every single symptom except nausea and headaches. Figures... the two that are most likely the easiest to control with over-the-counter meds. The leg restlessness is completely 100% unbearable.

thankgodforsuboxone wrote:

I was an opiate addict for years and was taking up to forrty pills a day. I couldn't function at all when I didn't have them, and at times I wanted to die because the withdrawals were so awful. I would quit cold turkey, sure that this time would be it, but two days in while I was lying on the floor throwing up and crying, I couldn't go through with it. Once I went four months without any opiates at all, but it only got a little bit better, and I was absolutely suicidal because I thought there would never be an end to it. then I found a doctor who cared enough to put me on suboxone - it literally saved my life. From the first 2 mg. pill I took until I was done a little less than a year later, I never had another craving or withdrawal. I got my normal life back. No, there are NO withdrawals from suboxone, and anyone who tells you there are is absolutely full of it. You should talk to someone who has been there...nothing you take for a week is going to make you go into withdrawal unless it's something like heroin. I didn't even experience withdrawal from pain pills after a week. Why would you take suboxone off the street if you weren't going through opiate withdrawal? Anyway, if you DO go through withdrawal after suboxone it's because you're body and brain chemistry are still reeling from the aftereffects of opiate dependency and you're not ready to come off of it yet. The withdrawal, then, is not from the suboxone, it's from the original addiction to opiates that can take YEARS to go away. Your brain has to re learn how to produce endorphins before the opiate withdrawal will ever go away, unless you have suboxone, which produces that for you; even if you are on suboxone for a short time, if you're not ready to come off it, then you will still experince withdrawals from the opiate withdrawal NOT THE SUBOXONE WITHDRAWAL. My advice to someone buying it off the street would be this: if you're not addicted to anything, don't take it, that's called abuse. If you're abusing suboxone, what else are you abusing, and are you sure that it's the suboxone you're feeling the withdrawal from? Suboxone doesn't have ANY narcotic in it so therefore it is absolutely not possible to get addicted to it. I also don't really understand how anyone can say that they get high from it, as I took it for a year and never felt high - I just felt normal. If you've taken it - AS DIRECTED AND FOR OPIATE WITHDRAWAL, UNDER THE SUPERVISION OF A MEDICAL DOCTOR and it doesn't work for you, then go take methadone, cuz I'm sure it will do you soooo much more good (actually I got addicted to methadone, which IS possible, as it IS an opiate based medication). I WILL NEVER BELIEVE THAT IT DOESN'T WORK FOR EVERYONE, BECAUSE THE STATSTICS ARE ABSOLUTELY STAGGERING...DO SOME RESEARCH BEFORE YOU WHINE AND CRY ABOUT SOMETHING SO EARTH SHATTERING AND LIFE SAVING. But for those who want to sit back and say it doesn't work because they either 1) didn't need it in the first place, 2) didn't like it because it didn't get them high or 3) stopped taking it too early, well, shut the f***k up because I would be dead if it weren't for suboxone right now and you don't know what you're talking about. So it didn't work for you...too bad - I don't believe you anyway. It worked for me, and at least 3 other people that I know of (aside from the hundreds of thousands of people that are documented to be absolutely drug free and 100% fully functional due to this MIRACLE DRUG. It's whiners like you that cause amazing and life saving medications like this one to be outlawed because you can't just mind your own business and let the rest of us reap the benefits of something like this. Shutup, go shoot your heroin or take your methadone (same thing as far as I'm concerned) and let the rest of us live our lives. Which I now can, thanks to suboxone, the miracle drug!

I was on suboxone for 1 year and 4 months and I weaned off about 2 weeks ago and the Withdrawal was absolutely terrible. It was just as bad as withdrawal from oxycontin and Heroin!!! Seriously it is no joke! People need to understand that Suboxone is an OPIATE and that's why it helps with cravings and withdrawals from your opiate of choice. It blocks your opioid receptors which in turn blocks cravings and withdrawal symptoms. So if you try to use on it which i did, you won't feel it so that is another really good thing about suboxone because it deters you from relapsing because your just wasting your time and money if you do! Anyways, they need to make an suboxone pill that is the size of an 8mg but only contains 2 or 4 mg's because I was down to .5 mg's a day and coming off that even was terrible!! It is a very powerfull and long acting drug... it is supposed to last for up to 24 hours in your system. DOCTORS NEED TO KNOW THIS ABOUT SUBOXONE...