Scottish researchers from Universities of Edinburgh, Napier and Adelaide found and tested a painkiller dihydrocodeine as an alternative to methadone in treating heroin addiction.

As the first of its kind, the study lasted three and a half years and included 235 people requiring treatment for heroin addiction in Edinburgh.

The new drug did not only proven to be safer but it also turned out to be 50% cheaper than methadone.

Dihydrocodeine is found to be less toxic and therefore under less stringent regulations, easier to store, and less likely to cause overdoses. Its treatment costs would be about £700 a year while methadone treatment requires £1500 for one patient alone.

Although Dihydrocodeine has been used before for treating drug addicts, it’s effectiveness had never been tested.

Thanks for sharing!!!!

Guest wrote:

Thanks for sharing!!!!

Quote:

e :P
this has been tried on me,the worst side effebt hs conrtipation&diarrihi.when my GP CUT ME DOWN i felt bad,my Doc put my methndoneup by 10↲mg each time I gave up 2 DF'S.THIS DOES Not woqk,noq doer tqamodol.Once u have been ö linctus for5 yqs.it hs v haqd to c6e oè w1o.valium& rleeping pills at nhght.everytime a friend of mine came off,they took benzos or albohol.rorry to be negathve.the only way i7 in fißt 6mths,hs get a fqhend to look aeter u,as if u got flu!

Mayo, I have read about this drug and actually took it for a tooth abscess many years ago, It's name in the USA is called Synalgos DC. I remember that it definately gave me that smooth opiate buzz if you took 4 or 5 of them. They didn't last over a few hours though, so maybe they could work if they were made to have a controlled release over 24hrs. Guess we'll find out someday if they become available for maintenance. RR