I recently read an article and I was amazed when I found out that millions of people in US are using prescription drugs for non-medical purposes and there is addiction present. Most popular, as I concluded, are codeine, oxycodone, and sleep disorder drugs. Anyone know anything about it? I would like to hear some comments.

Here is how I see, some people who were prescribed on such drugs became addictive and even when there is no need for them, and they can't stop taking them. So, that non medical use of prescription medications like opioids, central nervous system depressants, and stimulants can lead to addiction, characterized by compulsive drug seeking and use. I also think that there is a huge responsibility on pharmacist.

I myself am addicted to painkillers. It started when I had my 2nd son, c-section, and I pulled inner stitches. So I was prescribed Percocet for over 2 months. I had plenty of painkillers everyday. Let me tell you, this sucks. Going through withdrawl...words can't describe how awful it is to try and stay sober.

My father in law recently fell and had to go to a nursing home temporarily to heal and receive physical therapy. I am concerned about the massive number of drugs they are giving him for pain and wonder what dosages of these could be dangerous in combination? Percosett 5/325mg up to 12 per day PRN which is an increase 3 times the does the hospital had him taking. A Fentanyl patch 75 mg every 72 hours, MSIR PRN, along with Restoril 30mg at bedtime, Acetominephine 650 mg every 4 hours, and and antidepressant Zoloft. In one month he has fallen so many times and been back at the hospital because he is so delirious from the drugs.
I also wonder about their interactions with his normal routine of drugs for heart, blood pressure, cholestoral, gout, bone density, etc. which include (toporal XL, lasix, imdur, fosamax, digoxin).

Which of these are additictive and in what time frame would the addiction happen? As we taper down the pain meds how do we know if it is withdrawal or back pain that he is experiencing? :'(

I was addicted/prescribed oxycontin 40/80mg tablets @340/mth for 4 years..yes thats over 350 tabs permonth for my migraines! I was never told of the addictiveness of them until it was too late..Im am now sober for 5 months, i ended up using all the pills IV a month and more with heroin..Let me tell u the withdrawls are so painful, enough so that I even contemplated suicide more than once.. I asked for help and said they arent working like they used to, the dr.s answer, here is some more.. Now I am 3 months away from my court date and this son of a b***h is going down...