Coming Off Birth Control Pills(8yrs) & Unprotected Sex

I have recently gone off birth control pills after 8years & I want to share my experiences with you all so far. I’m not TTC, but if I happen to I am in a stable point in my life to do so. If not, that's perfectly fine too. Though, I really do have this odd feeling of overall doubt/confidence that I won’t become pregnant so soon.. only bc I’ve been on birth control pills so long (8yr) BUT, just because I feel that way doesn’t at all mean that’s how things happen! I’ve read you can get pregnant immediately after stopping birth control pills!

Anyway, starting 8/8/2012 (AUG 2012) I completed my entire pill packet & haven’t continued a new packet since & have had unprotected sex many times with my husband. The first few days after I was extremely fatigue, sleepy and tired & I ended up sleeping a lot. I also noted I was very hazy and not myself; like I couldn't focus on anything or think straight. I was pretty much blah. I was getting headaches (and I never have headaches or migraines), but they weren't at all unbearable, it just felt like a light sinus headache/tension. I also felt light headed & kinda dizzy sometimes when I get up from the computer or moving too fast (still happening). I had some cramping (not bad) on my lower left side immediately after stopping the pills, but it would only occasionally come and go the first few days off pills. But that could be just bc I’ve had, I believe, ‘a pulled muscle’ in that spot since 2010. My obgyn says it’s just a tightened muscle, not a cysts or anything of concern. Besides that, I haven't experienced any cramping-like symptoms as of yet.

SO, since I’ve been off my birth control pills (completed whole packet) I have had unprotected sex many times -since the day before my last pill of the packet -up to now (15 days off), so I wonder if there is a possibility of pregnancy?? Since day one of going off birth control pills, my symptoms have occurred as such; Very bloated (being a thin 102lbs female like myself I almost look pregnant after I eat a lot), I've had more of an appetite/cravings, but along with that I also had symptoms of feeling sickly after eating, but that only lasted a few days & wasn’t bad at all. I have been more fatigue/tired than usual; I also have been gassy like burping a lot/air in the tummy/maybe heartburn? (something I never get, so I’m not familiar with it). Another odd things is I seem to be noticing smells more than usual, like they really are really obvious & strong. I also was aware that a few days after going off birth control pills, I’ve had an increase in whiteish/creamy-like discharge, especially when having intercourse. I also will add that intercourse has been very much more enjoyable, my arousal state/sex drive has gone up. I’m not sure why, but it’s what I have observed.

Another symptom; I had an 5 day episode of ‘frequent urination’, but that was around the time I got an UTI after having unprotected sex with my husband. Along with that, I had an embarrassing fishy odor, which was odd, but I got tested to be safe & no STDs, so I'm assuming my PH levels are off from stopping the pills? My UTI /odor cleared up successfully within a few days, which btw, I took the generic antibiotic Macrobid; I asked nurse if that was okay to take if I was possibly preggo, & it is apparently. Since then I had no symptoms of UTI/odor, but the frequent urination is persisting & is just not normal as before.

Anyway, coming off birth control pills I’ve also come off caffeine & alcohol 100% & cold turkey. I’ve also started taking NatureMade Women’s Prenatal Multi+DHA vitamins. I feel it’s a good idea while my body is adjusting to going off birth control pills & with a possibility of pregnancy. The only thing that is alarming to me right now is the frequent urination. I wouldn't think that wouldn’t be a symptom of going off birth control pills..?

As of my breasts, they are just now (as of today) at the beginning stages of becoming tender. I’ve read on various postings that going off birth control pills, the breasts becoming incredibly sore & the nipples more so! So I’m sure I’ll be experiencing that in the next couple of days (wish me luck lol). Symptoms that I’ve not had are the back pains or cramping. Shall I be expecting those soon or not at all?

Well to wrap this up, my next period is due 9/1/12, that’s in about 10 days. So let’s see if I miss a period, or have one, have light bleeding or/and see what happens to my body during these processes. I really have no idea what to expect! But overall at my current point I'm feeling fine & normal! My head rarely hurts, I'm continuing to be tired more so than usual, but I'm getting plenty of sleep & feel rested afterwards. As of mood swings; they are only slight & PMS was a lot worse when I was on birth control pills before my period started. The frequent urination is still occurring, not as bad as when I had the UTI, but is still more often than normal… so I do plan to take many pregnancy tests in the next 2-3 weeks. But since I’ve decided to stop taking birth control pills, I’ve been keeping a positive mind-set, doing things that make me happy & keep a smile on my face.

Anyway, I will keep you all posted on what I am experiencing while going off birth control pills & what changes my body is enduring during the process ( I could be pregnant?). I know we all have questions & some women can totally relate to what I’m going through; ‘Could I be pregnant? Or are these symptoms of coming off birth control pills?’ I am writing this in hope to get answers/feedback/thoughts/opinions/support, anything that helps!

Thank you for taking the time to read my post :-)

-Zarah

NEW UPDATE: 8-29-12

Ok, so I am 3 days away from my expected period. For the past 2 weeks I have observed that my symptoms have become less & less. Currently those loopy/pregnancy-like symptoms (that happened immediately after I got off my birth control pills) are non-existent & I am actually oddly feeling great at the moment! I'm now thinking to myself that I have made the right decision to come off my birth control pills of 8years.. my periods were regular to begin with.. but my parents made me go on them when I was younger so I wouldn't risk getting preggo too early (understandable of course). Now I wonder.. Will my period come on time? Will my periods continue to be regular now that I stopped my long term pills? ?

Now that I'm off bcps & am no longer having those symptoms, I am feeling totally like myself, more focused, more CALM & at ease :-) Its hard to explain, but I feel I have benefited from going off bcps of 8yrs & it's wonderful. When I was on birth control pills I seriously was a very emotional person & had high anxiety all the time.. But that seems to have ceased since I've come off birth control pills.. though it's only been 3 weeks, so I don't want to jump to conclusions just yet.. But this is just what I've been observing so far.

Anyway, though I'm no longer having symptoms, I'm still going to play it safe (not drinking and/or other things that could harm a possible pregnancy). Keep in mind I am continuing to have unprotected sex & have been since before day 1 of finishing up my bcp packet..

I'll write another post in about 10 days to let you all know if I had a period or not. Also other things I observed during my journey of going off birth control pills, thanks for reading & feel free to respond/comment/whatever haha :-)

-Zarah

UPDATE 9.11.12

Hello again!

So my period has already come & went! I was really expecting it to be delayed a couple months or so due to being on the pill for such a long duration.. But no, it started two days after my expected period would have if I were on my pills. I did, however, last 6 days long whereas if on bcp it's only 4. The bleeding was heavier, but the cramping was very minimal & not at all a bother..so that's good.

During the last two-one days of my cycle I noted that most of the stuff coming out was just like brown.. I guess that's normal? No odor, no pain, minimal symptoms so I'm pleased my body jumped right back on track with producing its own hormones :)

So I had unprotected sex again 2 days after my menstural cycle.. he came in me.. so I'm not sure what my chances could be of getting pregnant now that I've been off bcp for a month & have already had one full menstrual cycle.. But I'll keep y'all posted!

OH, & one more note: I've been feeling SO much better now that I'm off birth control pills! I'm like, not a crazy emotional super sensitive young women anymore & really feel I have a clear head & it's totally a very positive & pleasant change :)

Update 9/25/2012

So my 1st period off birth control pills was from 9/4 - 9/9 roughly. 

Guessing my menstrual cycle is 28 days long.. I had sex during my period (day2), had sex on (day 8) (day 16).. Which I'm curious as to if I've ovulated during those times or around there..

It says "Ovulation usually occurs regularly, around day 14 of a 28-day menstrual cycle" and "Your fertile period starts about 4-5 days before ovulation, and ends about 24-48 hours after it. This is because sperm can live in your body for approximately 4 to 5 days, and the egg can live for 24 to 48 hours after being released. You are most fertile on the day before and the day of ovulation".

So reading this makes me nervous.. I'm pretty sure having sex on the 8th day was before my ovulation, but sperm can last 4-5 days.. & sex on the 16th day was smack dab oim the middle where it's common to ovulate as they say. So now it's the Two Week Wait which is kinda frustrating!

My upcoming period, if regular after being on bcps for so long.. Will begin 10/1 or a couple days after like my previous period (2days late) Or not at all.. Only symptoms I've noticed are my breasts seem to be pretty full & harddened, but no tenderness, yet I am having crazy bloating where it looks like I'm pregnant, though in the mornings when I wake up its not nearly as bad. One noted symptom I will mention is when I had sex 2 days after my period, I was very wet down there..could I have been ovulating 2 days after? It was quit a bit & was clear & thin.. enough discharge I didn't even need lubrication.. & sorry for TMI but I'm also very turned on right after my period..

So this is where I am currently.. Need to wait about 1-2 more weeks to see if I happen to miss a period or not. If not then GREAT, if so then time to take PTs & I'm ok with that too!  :-)

-ZARAH

Thanks so much for sharing your journey! Just this past Sunday, I took my last bcp after being on the pill for 13 years! I have been reading so much information about various side effects women have after getting off bcp's. After reading all of the different stories I was slightly nervous about getting off of them, but each day that I have been off, I am feeling more at ease with my decision. Thanks again for sharing and I will continue to follow your journey.

I'm glad it was helpful! The first 2-3 weeks coming off my bcps (8yrs) I immediatley experienced preggo-like symptoms.. it was exhausting & I was convienced I was pregnant.

I wasn't & am now officially 2 months off bcps & am feeling SO much better than I ever did on them! I also had my period on time (which I thought was going to be delayed), so my body jumped right back into the flow of things. I did bleed heavier than usual, but cramping was minimal & not an issue for me.

I'm now waiting for my 2nd upcoming period off bcps (7-10days I'm guessing?).. Though I had unprotected sex around/on ovulation I believe.. so I'm not sure what to expect! Thx for reading!

UPDATE: 10.17.2012

So my 2nd period already came and went! (not pregnant) It came exactly on time once again and both cycles have been 28 days. I'm very surprised!

But now.. 15 days into my cycle I've experienced brown discharge (about 3 days so far). Not a lot, and it is blood.. it's just not bright red as usual. But the past 2 days I have been moody, but I'm not suppose to start my period until the 28th (that'd be the regular cycle if so) so I'm somewhat confused as to what's going on.

It's very light bleeding though, only need to wear a pantyliner, but it's there. I wonder if it's break through bleeding? Or spotting? Not sure.. well I'll write again when I have my official period again. Thanks!

UPDATE - 3months off BCPs - 11.1.12

So I have YET to have a period this month and this is my 3rd month off my birth control pills. Since being off bcps, my cycles have been every 28 days exactly. But about half way through my last cycle I had, what I believe it was, spotting (just brown discharge, 3days). I've been noticing cramping around the time when my period is suppose to take place (Oct28) but no sight of blood or even light brown discharge.. So atm I am about 5 days late on my due period.. I haven't had unprotected sex until VERY recently (10/31Halloween), so my lateness has nothing to do with being pregnant... I don't know what the outcome possibility will be considering I should be on my period right now, but it's late (or did I have one when I spotted?) & I just had unprotected sex... But as I have been, I'll write more when time passes..lets see if my period comes or not! Thanks for continuing to read my story!

UPDATE Nov14, 2012

Today I started my period! 2 weeks & 4 days late! I wasn't expecting it to come, but for the past few days I sure was exhausted... & I guess simply PMS'ing. Took only 2 pregnancy tests beforehand (of course negative).. So I'm not pregnant! I'll write later in about a month! Thanks for tuning in!

-Zarah

I've been off my bcp (was on it for 10 yrs) since last week of Sept 2012. First month period came in 28 days, second time around, my period showed up extra 12 days late. Still trying to figure it all out. I want to start timing ovulation, but I'm not sure if I should be putting down 28 days or more. Hows it going with you?

Birth control will make you feel prego when its in your system 8years a long time but if you r prego congrat if u tryin to eat a let of pineapples n get some prenatal pills