I’m 24 years old and have been on birth control pills for last 4 months. First I thought that alcohol should be avoided while on bcp, because of possibility of side effects and unwanted reactions, like in the case of antibiotics. But then I‘ve heard that it is not dangerous as that. So, can you drink alcohol beverages and take birth control pills? Are there any limits? I take yasmin birth control pills, till now had no adverse reactions and feel much better protected this way.

Hi, I ‘m also on yasmin and am 28 years old. I’ve been on it for last 2 years. Well, the situation with alcohol and hormones is that both of them compete for same metabolic pathways in liver. So, effect is that alcohol is more slowly processed when used with bcps. This does not mean that alcohol should be avoided, but you should know that you can get drunk easier. And you’ll need less number of alcohol beverages now. I’ve also heard that chronic use of alcohol can decrease effectiveness of bcps. I think that you can not be in danger if consume ‘normal’ amount of alcohol beverages…

The main concern with alcohol and bcp is that if you drink too much and vomit, you might throw up the pill, making it less effective

i started taking birth control a few years ago. made me incredibly sick the first week, ended up in hospital i kept eating the pills cuz i didnt know it was them making me sick thought it was a flu. day i skipped one if felt almost instantly better. went to doc and got a lower hormone dosage. was on them for a month didnt get sick until i tried getting drunk. had about two beers and was vomitting and felt like i was dying for hours. stayed on em cause i want no babies. after awhile the beer didnt make me as sick i could stomach a few but i still couldnt drink the way i could before. i now dont use birth control and never will again. these are just two of the odd side effects they gave me. for the year i was on them i had wierd mood stuff all the time that i didnt really pick up on at first. dont think that birth control is a natural thing we should be messing with. just a personal opinion though.

Im 15 years old and have been on the pill since I was about 13 and now I cant get drunk on alchool when I consume it , It takes a lot.
and I have the exacct same problem as you I cant drink like before, and I get badbad mood swings, and sometimes bad depression..

no thats called PUBERTY ^

Hi, I am also 15, about to be 16, and I have been on the MonoNessa bcps. I have only taken them for a month now and have had very few problems. I dont really mind them much because its my first pack and my first time taking bcps. I had a drink 3 nights ago and didnt notice anything strange, but then again I only had one drink. Now, I am far from an expert but my Dr. told me that if my parent allow me to drink that there was no problem, the only problem is, that i have a very high tolerance for any side effects of mostky anything. This is only me, but i see no problem in drinking while on the pill.

Lol why are 13 year olds and 15 year olds taking this I'm only 21 and on it and I don't think it's right. I'm scared that if I drank it would not make the pill effective I don't want to risk it.

^ people have different reasons for being on the pill and you really shouldn't be deciding what is right and what isn't. i am 18, have been on the pill since i was 12 because of an irregular period. Do you find something wrong about that?

^It's because 13 year olds are getting drunk, THAT'S the problem. I mean, kids now a days are being promiscuous in middle school/early high school, so if their getting drunk, I wouldn't be surprised if the are sexually active, esp since middle school/early high school boys can be jerks (well, that's any guy :P). But even if we don't assume, and we shouldn't, because assuming isn't good, they admitted to being drunk at times, and, well, that's not right, esp at that age since the brain is still developing.

Im 19 and recently started taking them. DO NOT DRINK ON THE PILL. I learned my lesson last night. I had a shot and two baby ass lime a rita's and was throwing up till noon the next day. Your tolerance lowers and you get sicker so much quicker.

i think as soon as a lady begins her period it is best to go on the pill. it shows responsibility for one's own reproductive system. men don't always want to/use condoms. also rape is an issue. ladies have to be responsible all the time. i began my period when i was 13 and unfortunately did not start the pill till much later in life - i'm now 24 and wish i had started the pill at 13.

bullcrap because im 21 so you mean to tell me that im going through puberty too? na uh

Everyone reacts differently to their birth control. Some effects you can base on your genetics, others you can base on environmental factors, like your diet - the combination of the two are usually what you need to pay attention to.

I know tons of women who drink heavily and are on the pill who seem to be fine.

I'm 25 years old, a vegetarian, and an athlete...and I work very long hours at a high stress job where EVERYONE drinks.  I was fine on the pill for several years (started at 18), but I feel like within the past 2 years, I started physically reacting to things differently (allergies, booze, sleep, immature men, my cats, etc).  So your chemical body can change, just as much as your moods (also...chemical) (even after puberty!)

I personally am prone to being very dehydrated and recently quit drinking alcohol and caffeine because I started getting nauseated and sickly (even with 1-2 drinks a week). I can NOT prove this has anything to do with my birth control having a combined effect - but it's just a theory. I recently took a liver test and it was WAY high - test was taken 1 week after a night of 2 drinks O_O That's when I called it quits. I feel great, not at all dehydrated or nauseated, sleep better, have way less mood swings, my head feels clear etc, etc. (I was feeling really shitty and all of a sudden felt so much better...so weird),

Key take aways: listen to your body. If you feel different and not well - start eliminating things in your diet that may cause you to react. Like someone mentioned, your liver will be competing to process what you're putting in your body. Don't drink till you puke....because like mentioned before - you can throw up your pill (if youre smart....you'll take your pill WELL before drinking hours ;) A little drinking won't hurt - just be diligent on listening to your body if you're worried. And if you decide to not drink - you can still go to bars and hang out sober :)  

And to all the younger ones: PLEASE be safe. Don't rush into things. If you're having fun, all I can say is - remember to focus on yourself and what you're worth. Keep being awesome and keep improving yourself every day.  Believe me, making six figures from a career I absolutely love and having a healthy relationship is awesome, but it took a lot of work and a lot of will power to tell guys I don't have time for their noise ;) Pretty sure I was busy playing sports at 13, learning how to manipulate HTML for my lame blog, in detention a lot for being a smart ass, and trying to prove myself by studying when no one was looking. Oh, and of course playing video games with the boys :D

that's awesome.. but wait.. you make 6 figures doing what at 25?