Hello everyone. 

My name is Jennet. My husband lives in the other country and I don't have a chance and occasion to see him very often. Yesterday he called me and told me that his doctor diagnosed some prinzmetal's angina. I never heard about it and I don't know what this is. I assume that there are some other term for prinzmetal's angina because I am surprised that I don't know anything about it. I know that he is going to be OK, but I want to know how this angina is treated? Can it be treated with medications? Thank you. 

Hello there. I am really surprised because you haven’t heard about this term before.  This type of angina is also known as variant angina, angina invers or coronary vessel spasm. This is a syndrome typically consisting of angina  or cardiac chest pain,  at rest that occurs in cycles. It is caused by vasospasm, and that is a narrowing of the coronary arteries caused by contraction of the smooth muscle tissue in the vessel walls rather than directly by atherosclerosis . It is usually a buildup of fatty plaque and hardening of the arteries. It depends how dangerous his stage is. According to that, doctor will set up the best treatment.

Hello there. A few days ago I was reading something about this and I found really helpful advice from some doctor here on the internet. I wrote it down and now it is at my fridge, so I can’t forget it. He was saying that there are 5 things that are very important. For example, you need to be sure that  you are dealing with vasospastic angina actually and not some other that requires a different treatment. The second thing is that you need to push the doses of nitrates and calcium channel blockers to the maximum. If one of them is not working, try another one. Next – add aspirin. Also, it is very important to avoid the situations that may be triggers. The last but not the least – visit your doctor periodically.  

Good day everyone.

Look, Prinzmetal's angina is characterized by a transient reduction in luminal diameter of a coronary artery resulting in spontaneous and often recurrent episodes of angina with electrocardiography (ECG) findings consistent with ST elevation. The other terms you already know, I need to tell you that I only know of angina invers. Treatment - Prinzmetal’s angina is treated with medications, specifically and usually with nitroglycerin, long-acting nitrates, and also with calcium channel blockers, all of which widen or open the blood vessels and improve blood and oxygen flow to the heart muscle. Calcium channel blockers are generally prescribed first.

Calcium channel blockers are one of the options for treating this type of angina. Also, patients should definitely be encouraged to stop smoking. I believe that this is number one. Also, let’s go back to the calcium channel blockers. The mainstay of therapy consists of calcium channel blockers (CCB) and some patients also benefit from the addition of long acting nitrates. Nitroglycerin is also good because it relieves symptoms rapidly and should be used as a first line therapy. Long - acting nitrates are effective at preventing attacks. Those are all possible ways of the treatment. I hope that it is helpful.