Hi! Recently, I married. I notice that my wife have strange behavior. She is compulsive plucking of hair from the scalp. I know her about three month and I thought that she is perfect for me. Tell me is this some kind of mental disorder. How to help her to realize that she has strange habit?

Hi! Trichotillomania is the name given to habitual, compulsive plucking of hair from the scalp or other hair-bearing areas of the body. Continual plucking of scalp hair will result in a hairless area-a bald spot. In its more severe forms, trichotillomania has a ritualistic pattern and the hair-plucking may be conducted in front of a mirror. The person with trichotillomania often has guilt feelings about his or her "odd" behavior and will attempt to conceal it. You should talk with pscyhiatrist. He will have some advice about the way how to tell her about hair plucking.

I have an aunt who does this hair plucking and eats skin fragments from underneathe her finger nail. Is that an extention to this disorder, or an entirely different problem. I have a suspicion she may be using drugs, but i am not sure if this is just a form of this OCD????