We need help!!!
My little sister is non stop pulling out her hair!!! I mean, what, why???? I surfed and found that this is a disease, called Trichotillomania. I am not sure if she has this disease so I would be very grateful if someone would introduce me to other symptoms of Trichotillomania. Is it curable?

If she has this disease, she needs therapy. And this disorder is curable, so dso not be so worried. But I understand what you thinking, I mean dhe is harming herself and to us this seems unreasonable…
Here is a list of symptoms, typical for Trichotillomania: feeling that you have to pull your hair out (pulling hair by hair), feeling of tension before pulling hair, which is followed by a sense of relief after pulling, noticeable hair loss (even baldness), lack of social activity (do not want to go to school), being ashamed of pulling hair and other things that is doing (like biting nails). People with trichotillomania, often pull strand by stand and then examine it, sometimes they chew hair, sometimes they even eat it. Sometimes these people are compulsive nail biters or they pick skin. And they are often depressed. As I said, it is curable, but therapy is needed.

I actually have trich -- and I've had it now for 14 years. Therapy helps for some people, drugs help for others, but there's no sure-fire "cure" (trust me, if there was -- I'd definitely be much happier). Just keep your sister occupied and find other ways for her to relieve tension (most people with trich pull because of built-up tension, or even sub-consciously). I have hair extensions now and lead a very normal life.

Studies have shown that trich may be related to genetics. Maybe some day they'll come up with a cure. Best of luck. Be supportive and by no means be judgmental!

The way that I stopped pulling my hair was by always keeping my hands busy. Make sure she is always painting, or sewing or doing something that will keep her hands occupied.

Most important, do NOT tantalize her for it. I suffered from it when I was a kid and my family yelling at me to stop made it worse. Don't talk to her about it just yet, try keeping her hands busy and if this continues, talk to her and as mean as this sounds, scare her into thinking that this is very very dangerous.

Tell her that she could be bald one day, and of course no one wants that. But be nice about it, if she is scared of what could happen she will stop, even if it is very difficult. I hope all goes well :-)