Hi Ive always had very thin hair I'm blonde, nearly white, Ive always attracted a lot of looks, so you saw through my hair but nevermind I felt beautiful and Ive been told so a lot, but for the last year or so my hair is thinning, it's very noticable on top its generally thinning on the whole upper part of my head, also there a lot and a lot more hairs in my brush and in my shower and on my pillow. My hairdresser says I'm actually slowly balding. He thinks it may last for more than a year but Ive not noticed before. Anybody help? 

Hello, Guest. Like you I've got white hair (I suffer from albinism) and my hair has always been thin. I started losing my hair when adolescent, mostly on top of my head but also some on the sides and behind and also a bit of my body hair. I was afraid at the time that I'd lose it all but as it were it was no real problem for me. You had always been able to see the skin of my scalp through my hair and I've alway had the impression that I had not enough hair so it didn't really make a change. At the beginning I hadn't even noticed that I was losing it. I started to notice when I was 17 but even then I had the impression that I had lost some hair but I didn't notice that I was still losing it. It was so progressive you see. My friends told me that they thought something was wrong especially my best friend but I told them that they were wrong that it was not that bad. But when I was 18 I definitely noticed that there was really not much hair to be combed: my ponytail was not looking like anything much anymore and when I pulled my hair back it looked as if there was no volume at all on top of my head. That day I took a couple of mirrors and a strong light and I began to examine my hair and I discovered that indeed the hairs were all at least 2-3 mm distant from each other and there was a spot on top of my head where there was no hair at all. I called my best friend and we had a look at it together and she said she had told me so of course but she was very supportive. She asked me if I was also losing hair elsewhere and I told her that I had thought that I had lost a little bit of body hair but just like the head I didn't thing it was much so we checked that also together and she went simply like "Are you crazy you're practically bald down there". She hadn't seen me naked for 3 years, since our Freshman year, so she saw the difference I hadn't seen either. Well, to make a long story short, I had a bald plate at 22, I lost the last of my pubic hairs when I was 25 and also my eyelashes and eyebrows had gone by then, and I lost the last hairs around my head when I was 27.

You describe alopecia totalis. It can touch everyone not just white or blonde hair and often starts when one is young. I have androgenetic alopecia with the hair on top of my head thinning. It started when I was in my early twenties. Minoxidil helped somewhat to slow the process down but like you I took this thing seriously too late and my hair wouldn't grow back with minoxidil. I was so used to see my scalp skin anyway because of my very light hair that I didn't really notice I was losing hair until a friend told me when I was 22 that she thought I was getting bald. In turn my sister paid attention to her hairs but she wouldn't take minoxidil because she's afraid of the sid effects. She's 23 and I'm 29 and we're both at the same stage Ludwig II with a 1'' wide line in the middle of our heads where the hairs are so thin and short that there seems to be nothing left and generally on top of your heads noticeably thinner hair. Doctor says we will probably lose some more until it eventually stops. We will probably keep our hair around our head also the front line but have a more or less bald plate

Not necessarily. And the side effects of Minoxidil are not to be afraid of. I have androgenetic alopecia myself, it started probably when I was in my mid-twenties, I noticed it when I was 28. Minoxidil slowed it down a little, but I grew fed up with taking it and stopped and my alopecia progressed. Today I'm 42 and my hairloss has made no progress for the last couple of years. I've got generally thin hair but only a line of approx. 1 cm large and 7 cm long on top of my head is completely bald. It is surrounded by an area which is app. 6 cm large and 10 cm long where there is some short and very thin hair left. I keep it all trimmed to 1-2 cm long so you really don(t see where the hair problem starts.

Androgenic alopecia comes in all kind of degrees and even if it runs in the family every woman is not necessarily impacted in the same way. If your sister has lost as many hair as you have but at a younger age, it may mean that she will lose more than you or on the contrary that it will stop earlier for her. You never know. In my family it runs down a line from my great-grand-mother (further nobody remembers). Here's the complete picture. She had serious problems and wore a wig for most of her life. My grandma told me she had very little hair left on top of her head when she was 40 and she got completely bald on top and lost also her front hairline after menopause. My grandma had a less severe form but still. Her hair thinned when she was in her 20ies and 30ies but she kept hair everywhere, but it grew very thin on top of her head. today it's all turned white and you see through everywhere. Her sister had kept most of her hair until her 30ies but she died very young. She had no kids. Her brother has 2 daughters, both developed a very mild form. One has a daughter who had alopecia totalis when she was 7 and another daughter who is my age (which is 28) and is Ludwig I, diagnosed with androgenic alopecia. My grandma herself had 4 children, my mum, her sister and her 2 brothers. My mum is the oldest and she follows great-grandmother: she lost a good deal of hair on top of her head in her 20ies. When she married she was 28 and she already wore a wig. When I was born she was 30 and after my birth she lost more hair. She thought she suffered from shedding as most women do but it was really hairloss. I know her only with a bald plate. She still had a very thin front hairline for some years but she had an early menopause when she was only in her mid-thirties and then she lost her front hairs also. Her sister has more resistent hair and she doesn't seem to have lost any! I have 4 cousins, my aunt's daughter is Ludwig I and she's 21, one of my uncles has a daughter who is 24 and she has no problem and another who is 26 and she is Ludwig II, and my other uncle has a daughter who is only 17 and who has no problem so far. My own sister is 26 and a very eraly Ludwig I which seems not to make progress anymore. As for myself, I am Ludwig II.

Hi, I'm in. 29, dark hair, Ludwig 1, my sister 27, dark hair, Ludwig 2, our mother all ok (!!), but our aunt 65, Ludwig 2 since her 20ies, her daughter, 36, Ludwig 3, and our grandma we're told started losing hair when 20 and was bald when 40 with a crown of remaining hair all around her head (sounds like Ludwig 3). Good luck to all of you.

I'm in too but in a different way. My great-grand-mother, grand-mother and mother all lost part of their hair after they gave birth and it didn't all grow back and in their 40s as part of menopause. So they have all thin hair on top of their head without a bald spot but where you clearly see the scalp and which you can't comb in any way to hide it, the hairs grow too far away one from the other. But my father's mum was more or less bald when she was 30 and I seem to have inherited from her. I'm without children, 31 and Ludwig II, progressing fast towards Ludwig III. It started right after puberty. And both of my brothers (35 and 28) are completely bald, even though no other man in the family was bald so early.

never give up, never surrender
i've had alopecia universalis when I was 8: it started with the eyebrows and the eyelashes, then came the head; it took 2 1/2 week for me to lose all my hair; i've never grown any body hair, and the other hair never grew back
there are so many models and other successful girls being bald like us (Margaret Baker, Brenda Finn, Therese Hansson, Kimberly Carey, Anna Fitzpatrick) and they're all beautiful
we are beautiful
if your hair is thinning, shave it all off: a clean bald pate is best!!!

from a guy's point of view: I know it's not standard, but I get turned on by my gf's thinning hair. We(ve been together for 6 years now. When we first met she was 24 and her hair was already growing thin on the top of her head causing her to have a parting which looked even wider than it was because you saw through her hair on each side of the parting, if you've got thinning hair you know what I mean. When I met her she was with her sister who was 2 years older than she and who had full hair but the next day when it became clear that we were going to stay together she told me that her sister actually wore a wig because she had not much hair left and that she had started to lose her own hair and that she was probably going to become more or less bald. At that moment I couldn't have cared less. Over the years her hair got thinner and thinner and it started to actually turn me on that she was to become bald.

yes there are weird men out there, fortunately for us lol!
I'm 38, started balding in my early 20ies, met my husband when I was 27 having already the "christmas tree" pattern and my hair cut short in order to hide my thinning hair as good as possible. I still had my frontline intact and he had me grow my hair long again and wear it with a hairband. It looked actually good and I owe him the last year of feeling feminine. When we married 3 years later the Christmas tree had developed into a large oval bald spot and my frontline was gone for like 2'' in the middle of my forehead and I wore a large headpiece which, when you were in front of me, hid my bald scalp, and the remaining hair was done in a bun. I was happy with it but later I saw the photographs taken from the side or from above and it was horrible for between the headpiece and the bun there was simply nothing. After that I decided to shave completely and my husband agreed. From then on I noticed the progress of losing hair less of course but my head started to shine like a bald man's. For my 35. birthday, my husband asked me to let it grow back just so that we can see where I am. I was shocked at the result: no frontline, no hair on top, just a crown which starts only behind my ears but goes up high at the back of my head. I wanted to get rid of it again but he had me grow it long again. After 2 years I had a ponytail and now it"s long enough to do it in a bun again. I haven't lost more hair since. It looks weird of course but it"s actually better than the complete shave. And also I have to agree with my husband that I have a beautifully shaped head despite the fact that it shines.
Not only does he love me the way I am but he really loves the way I am. He got aroused by my bald spot from the day we met. Later when I shaved he got kind of used to it, but in the first weeks after I had stopped shaving he entered a state of arousal which I had not known before and which of course I really loved, though I still find it was weird. But anyway, here we are.

Hi girls, similar story to the first ones here. I'm 34, I used to be very fair blonde (not white nor albinos though), but with darker eyebrows and bodyhair. I had never really full hair, you always could see through and when I grew bodyhair (very late actualy, I was already 15, it remained scarce too: Nothing on my arms, very little on my lower legs, and armpits and pubes with only a small area of thin hairs. It was my hairdresser who noticed my hairloss first when I was 20. I didn't go there often, once or twice a year and there was this visit when he told me he was unable to do anything with my hair, there simply was not enough. He showed me the top of my head in a Mirror and there was a line where there was no hair at all and around it you saw the skin everywhere, it was like small patches of hair mixed with small patches of skin. . We looked all around my head and it was the same everywhere. Over the next months I had more and more of these bald patches (they were really small, a few millimetres, a loss of 20 or 30 hairs each) and also my eyebrows got holes. So I knew I was in for alopecia. To make it short: after a year I had no bodyhair left, no eyebrows Nothing and only a few areas with hair on my head, which I all lost in another year. Im bald for 12 years now, no hair remaining, and nothing grew ever back. Of course I was tempted by wigs, but it itched, and I was also tempted by having a large "hair tattoo", but I decided not too. Over the years my head turned shiny. Strangely enough I found a person who loves me the way I am and I've learned to accept my fate thanks to her.