Hi everyone,

I started wondering about this a few days ago. I have a friend who is suffering from anxiety (she is really suffering) and it all started when she broke up with her boyfriend two months ago. She was really into that relationship that she eventually became too hard to date. He left her and she got in a really bad mood.

Anyway, I can see her biting lips when she is having one of those anxiety attacks and also, she is biting her nails. Why would she bite her nails? Is it a similar reason for lips biting, or something else?

Hey Guest,

Nail biting (there is a special name for this, it is called onychophagia) is a common stress-relieving habit. You may bite your nails in times of stress or excitement, or in times of boredom or inactivity. It can also be a learned behavior from family members. Nail biting is the most common of the typical "nervous habits," which include thumb sucking, nose picking, hair twisting or pulling, tooth grinding, and picking at skin.

You may bite your nails without realizing you are doing it. You might be involved in another activity, such as reading, watching television, or talking on the phone, and bite your nails without thinking about it.

Hi Guest,

Deni explained it pretty well actually, you can easily connect this to your friend's case. Anxiety causes someone to be nervous, even more nervous than normal nervousness. When people are nervous, they do those kind of things that Deni wrote about above. Even you probably do some of these things when you are nervous. There is chaos in your head and you are using these kind of things to calm down, you need to do something to calm down. Usually, people do something with their hands because it is the easiest thing to do in order to calm down, I would add smoking cigarettes to what Deni wrote above.

Hi guys,

I see, it makes complete sense. I'm not aware of what I'm doing when I am nervous but I think that I am biting my nails as well. I don't recall doing it but to be honest, when I want to cut my nails, they are already cut, I mean eaten. 

But my friend keeps doing it excessively. She keeps biting her nails until she sees blood and until it starts hurting her. She feels better only after it starts hurting, I don't know what is wrong with her. She is harming herself I have no idea how to help her.

Sometimes, you cause yourself some kind of small pain in order to forget about your mental pain. It is actually something that works pretty good, but for a short period of time. That is one more reason why people bite nails and lips. You can't do much to help her, this is something that she needs to fight on her own, I mean, you can be there for her and by her side, but you can't do anything in a direct way. 

As long as she is only biting her nails and not hurting herself in a worse way, things are more or less okay.

Hey there. I don't know, but I suppose that the patient who is dealing with anxiety is feeling extremely weak. That is some kind of the problem in every people. I believe that people who are dealing with anxiety are really furious and weak and they don't want to fight with no one. They are fighting with their selves and that is one of the ways - nail biting. Lip biting is here as well. For example, my sister was biting her nails for more than 10 years but as far as I know she was never dealing with anxiety at all. I don't know, maybe this is common for a lot of the people but it doesn't have to be like this...
Good luck.

I was reading a lot about this and found the information that nail biting can be a sign of obsessive compulsive disorder. So, it needs to be cured and healed. I know that certain doctors suggest some tips to avoid biting your nails. For example, you can try to find some healthy way to manage stress and anxiety as well. Also, avoiding factors that trigger nail biting such as boredom is also very helpful. Also, you should keep your nails well-trimmed or manicured. If you still cannot find the best way to stop biting your nails, find the way to occupying your hands or your mouth with some alternative activities. How about chewing gum?

Hey everyone. So nail biting is also known as onychophagy or onychophagia, and it is an oral compulsive habit. It is sometimes described as aparafunctional activity, the common use of the mouth for an activity other than speaking, eating, or drinking. But it is very common in children. For example, I was biting my nails when I was a kid, but now I do bite them when I am nervous. That doesn’t happen very often, but definitely if you do this all the time and if you bit your nails until you see the blood, that is worrying. Seek for help.

Hey. It is not that hard to explain and to understand. Look, when people are nervous or when they are dealing with anxiety, they usually do things like those - biting nails is something that is very, very common. It can become some kind of the disorder and the best thing is to visit someone who is an expert because it can become serious problem for someone. My sister was biting her nails to the blood and her doctor told her that this is really compulsive disorder. So, it needs to be done something about it. Good luck.