Hi, I am a forty years old woman. Except occasional cases of flu, I have never had any serious medical problems. But, in the last few months I have noticed some changes in my behavior that worry me a lot. I have noticed I have become forgetful. For instance, on couple of occasions I have forgotten about some very important meetings and this nearly cost me my job. Also, sometimes I start to tremble for no apparent reason. My mother had Alzheimer's disease and I am worried I might have it too. What I was wondering is could forgetfullness and trembling at the age of 40 indicate Alzheimer's?

Hi, since your mother was suffering from Alzheimer's disease I am sure you are aware of the symptoms that are caused by this condition. It is a normal reaction for you to feel scared when you noticed these symptoms in you. Alzheimer's usually affects people older than sixty five, but not necessarily. The early-onset Alzheimer's is the term used to describe the condition affecting patients younger than sixty five. And it can be diagnosed in the forties. Also, since your mother had Alzheimer's, genetics play an important role. But, there is one thing that might indicate you don't have Alzheimer's. Trembling is not a very common symptom of this disease, but rather consists with Parkinsonism. This condition also causes dementia, but the deterioration of the neurons also shows effect on the muscles. In any case, based on your family's medical history and your symptoms, you should see your doctor right away. He will determine the right cause of your forgetfulness and trembling.