Hi, my mother is 56 years old and she is experiencing swelling of the hands, ankles and legs. I would like to know if such swelling may indicate an allergy reaction. I hope someone else had similar experience so I would be very thankful if you may share it with me. Thanx.

Hi, in some forms of allergy it is possible that swelling may occur. Also allergies may cause swelling of some other parts of body like eye lids, face e.t.c. Anyway it would be good that your mother visits her doctor and to check her heart condition because heart failure also may cause swellings.

Hallo,
You have to understand that this can not be connected with allergic reaction always. But if you know that your mother has problems with allergies than this can certainly be the main symptom of allergic reaction. Swelling of extremities is one of the most dangerous parts of allergy because in most cases it can immobilize you and can prevent you from moving or walking. Do you know if she is taking any medication right now? This could be induced as an side effect form some medication as well. I hope that you mother will be able to get over this and that this helped you in any way.

All the best to you,
Karen