Hello, folks. I have recently heard that the kid, who lives next door, has cerebral atrophy. I haven't heard about that experession before, so I would like to ask what may be the cause for this disease. I would really appreciate all your efforts to answer my post. Thanks in advance.

Hello to you too. Cerebral atrophy is not a disease. It is more a condition that is caused by many, mostly serious brain diseases. These diseases can be congenital like leukodystrophies. Such disease is Krabbe disease where myelin, that is the main part of axon sheet, is being destroyed. Mitochondrial encephalomyopaties interfere with basic neuron functions. Traumas and epilepsy can also be the cause. Senil dementia, Pick's disease, Alzheimer's disease and other similar diseases can also cause atrophy of the brain. Huntington's disease is another congenital disease where a toxic level of proteins is destroying neurons. Infections and MS are another possible causes. I hope I've helped you with your question.

my mother as a cerebral attaxia or cerebral attrophy yage 55. nanded maharashtra mri says cerebral attrophy hemisphere is seen . she has walkin and balance problem . so please suggest mi a well treatment on that diseases or well medicine that's way mother will walk herself . thank y

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private info not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

Several conditions can cause a brain to atrophy, including diseases and aging. A number of conditions involving the brain can lead to brain atrophy. These include stroke, major depressive disorder, epilepsy, and multiple sclerosis. This atrophy can be generalized or focal.

Hi Balaji, My mother also had same issue like your mother. We got this report "Age related diffused cerebral atrophy right maxillary ethmoid and frontal sinusitis." . She also had in balance walking problem. I am also looking for treatment, can you please share your findings on this ? Thanks for your help. Kiran